Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My dd hurt my feelings on her bday

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
We couldn't get her much but we did her a Frizen DVD, nail polish set and clothes.

The whole time she was opening her presents she has a "this sucks" expression.

Now my feelings are hurt
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:24 PM
How old is she?
diamondprnces
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:29 PM

Did you get her what she wanted ? What did she ask for ? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous: How old is she?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM
She wanted frozen toys but they were expensive. So she got the frozen DVD and a shirt that had them on it

Quoting diamondprnces:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:35 PM
Did she say thank-you? Even at that age, teaching gratitude is important. I'm sorry your feelings were hurt and I'm sorry that you weren't able to do more. I wouldn't let it bug you too much though. Just let her know that she should be thankful for anything she gets.

Quoting Anonymous: 7

Quoting Anonymous: How old is she?
OrangeBalloon
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Did she thank you for the gifts and have good manners about it? 

Quoting Anonymous: She wanted frozen toys but they were expensive. So she got the frozen DVD and a shirt that had them on it
Quoting diamondprnces:

nerdymom28
by Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids don't get away with that kind of stuff. I'd say your DD needs to learn a lesson in gratitude. Take the stuff back, and see how much she thinks THAT sucks.

The first time my DD got a gift and this happened, it was some kind of doll - it was the kind she wanted, but the "wrong color". All she could do was complain about how it wasn't what she wanted, she was being a real snot about it. She was also 7 at the time. I took it from her hands and told her that if she didn't want it, I'd return it. She tried to change her tune, but I returned the damn thing to the store the next day. She never pulled that crap again. She learned to graciously accept gifts and to never complain about them. It's the thought that counts. A gift should never disappoint.

Gratitude is an important virtue and my kids will learn that early, even if we have to do it the hard way.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 1:40 PM

for 7 years old, and not appreciate these things. I would tell him. I'm sorry. Take all the gifts that were given and let her know they will be returned. 

Let her attitude slide from you.  She wanted more and is express herself in the WRONG way!

My daughter whose 10 did that once.  I had no problem packing her things up. She changed her tune.  I remind her if she has nothing nice to say, then say nothing. 

Mom!! Let her behavior slide.  But, turn your hurt feelings to expressing take the things away.  If she can't appreciate them, she doesn't deserve them.  Sorry!

PrettyNInkDmom
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:02 PM
I would take them back. Explain to her that you got her what you could afford and donate them to a kid in need. I can't stand an ungrateful child.

My son made a remark at xmas that a few gifts were "lame" . So I said no worries, its kids out there who didn't recieve anything that would love them. Also explaining how he can have nothing or appreciate what he is given. It made me really sad too, I teared up. But I had to prove a point at the same time...
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 13, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Tell her there are little girls that don't get ANYTHING for their birthdays - and she's very lucky to get a movie and some clothes. IF she doesn't like them - ask her to donate them to a homeless/women's shelter to a little girl that would treasure those gifts. Sounds to me like little girl needs to learn to be grateful for what she has - not what she doesn't. I wouldn't let it "hurt your feelings" - wait until she's a teenager - that is why we're given 12 years to get "thick skin". I'm told that teenagers do a lot more damage in "hurting feelings" Good Luck

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)