Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

MIL Over-freaking-reacting

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 42 Replies
So yesterday was my MIL's birthday and I had planned on calling her after she got home from work, which is about 9pm my time to that she could talk to my DS. But stuff happens and by the time we got home, got the kid fed, bathed and ready for bed - I forgot to call her. My husband - her son did earlier in the day.

So this morning my husband got the following text from her:

"Please tell your wife that I relieve her of any obligation she may feel to contact me for anything. It's more than obvious that doing so is distasteful to her. Please do not make her call or text me as I will not answer. Love you always."

What the fuck? For one she is not my mom. Her son called her. My parents don't expect DH to call them on their birthdays. Second, we generally get along okay - we don't have much in common, but we've never had a actual argument. She was just here visiting in June and everything went fine. There is no reason for her to jump to sending nasty-grams.

I haven't tried reaching out to her today. DH tried calling her earlier but she didn't answer.

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
schultzal
by Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM
1 mom liked this
Yikes.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. As long as your dh called, everything should be good. Don't play her games. It's a big freaking trap. When you do talk to her, simply state why you didn't call, say a simple I'm sorry or something along those lines and drop it. Or, ask her if she's off her meds cause she's not acting right! :)
SuckIt69
by New Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:43 PM
7 moms liked this
Ignore her. She wants you to kiss her ass. Fuck that!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:46 PM
2 moms liked this
Let her be pissy, if she doesn't want you to call her then don't, I wouldn't keep your kid from her, but don't got out of your way to have her talk to him. Leave it up to your dh. She will get over it, and what she wants is for you to crawl and ask for forgiveness. It's a ego thing. Good luck.
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Aug. 16, 2014 at 10:52 PM
3 moms liked this

I say she did you a huge favor.  Let her give you the silent treatment.   She's a wackadoo.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 17, 2014 at 5:12 PM

My MIL is the same way.  I have been married for almost 18 years.  I do not call her on her birthday,I do not go see her on mothers day and I do not pick out her Christmas present my hubby does.   I do remind my husband on these dates that should be good enough, but according to her its not.  Also grandparents day  she gets mad if my dd doesn't bring her something special.  She stays mad at me a lot but oh well she can get happy just as fast as she can get mad.

xoch86
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I would just say ok, and move on.. She's doing too much

AubryJ
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 6:42 PM
1 mom liked this
She sounds lovely. I wouldn't bother contacting her either. Don't play into her manipulation.
L202M
by on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I hope your dh realized that his mother is not acting rationally.  I can't even imagine my MIL acting like that.  

Snakecharm
by Member on Aug. 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow you weren't kidding that she over reacted. She must think your day should revolve around her. Lol.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)