Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Does it annoy you when people refer to YOUR children as THEIRs?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 96 Replies
1 mom liked this
It annoys me when certain people refer to my child as theirs. As calling them "my little girl/boy" or "my princess" or by their name with "my" in front of it. Or posts a picture of your child and calls them their little boy/girl.
I think it annoys me because the people who do it aren't close with my child, so it seems fake to me.
There a a couple people who will say things like "aww my little prince/princess" and it doesn't bother me because I know it's out of pure love. I know with all my heart their intentions are good and pure. I also know they love my child very much and have a close bond unlike the other people who do it and it annoys me.
I mean it's not a big deal it's just a peeve. I pretty much just roll my eyes when I see it. Wondering if any other mamas have had a similar experience/feelings.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 19, 2014 at 12:57 PM
So Who are these people claiming your kids? grandparents,sm,sil or bil?. what are you talking about? WTF is claiming your kids?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Yes! My idiot MIL does this ALL the F-ING time and I hate it. I especially hate it because with her, it always feels like she is trying to play mom to MY kids.  My youngest sister does this too and I don't like it. Doesn't bother me AS much, but it still really annoys me.  Especially when she posts pictures and says stuff like "look at my cutie."  NOT YOURS!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
Well it's the in laws who do it that annoy me. They do it often.
My child's godmother has done it before and it doesn't bother me.

Quoting Anonymous: So Who are these people claiming your kids? grandparents,sm,sil or bil?. what are you talking about? WTF is claiming your kids?
Outspoken.Mime
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:03 PM

I don't have this problem.  No one ever calls my children their children.

Outspoken.Mime
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM
2 moms liked this

You sound really insecure.   She is probably referring to the child being HER grandchild, which that child would be.

That is hardly declaring ownership of your child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes! My idiot MIL does this ALL the F-ING time and I hate it. I especially hate it because with her, it always feels like she is trying to play mom to MY kids.  My youngest sister does this too and I don't like it. Doesn't bother me AS much, but it still really annoys me.  Especially when she posts pictures and says stuff like "look at my cutie."  NOT YOURS!

lulumomof2
by Member on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I call my nephew (whom I watch since he was an infant) my little monkey, or my little magoo. I hope that if it bothered my sister (or bil) they would tell me! My mom calls my niece her "little (nickname that only my mom uses)". I wouldn't do it to anyone I wasn't close to. 

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM
Lol
You know exactly what I mean!
My mil does it too.
It kind of creeps me out. It probably goes a long with their constant need for attention. As well as all their drama and over stepping of boundaries.
I don't get it either because they have their own kids so it's not like they are childless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:11 PM

Well, you don't have this problem since no one calls your kids theirs, so you obviously have no clue.  I my MIL calls and says "how are my kids/how are my babies?"  Yes that pisses me off.  And since you have no experience, how 'bout you just shut your hole.  No I am not insecure.  I hate my MIL.  She is a controlling, manipulated bitch who is not trusted with my kids, yet thinks she has a wonderful relationship with them.  (DH and I disagree.)

Quoting Outspoken.Mime:

You sound really insecure.   She is probably referring to the child being HER grandchild, which that child would be.

That is hardly declaring ownership of your child.

Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes!  My MIL hugely oversteps her boundaries. Has from the very first day my first child was born. She now has limited access and always will.

Quoting Anonymous: Lol You know exactly what I mean! My mil does it too. It kind of creeps me out. It probably goes a long with their constant need for attention. As well as all their drama and over stepping of boundaries. I don't get it either because they have their own kids so it's not like they are childless.
Quoting Anonymous:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 19, 2014 at 1:13 PM
Hmm see it think your situation is different. The nick name thing doesn't bother me. Plus you are close. I think what bothers me is that they aren't close, they hardly see her. Plus if it's a nickname you made up that's different. My in laws took a nickname one of my family members made up. So that kind of bothers me too, it's like you didn't even come up with that, it was a special one between my child and another person

Quoting lulumomof2:

I call my nephew (whom I watch since he was an infant) my little monkey, or my little magoo. I hope that if it bothered my sister (or bil) they would tell me! My mom calls my niece her "little (nickname that only my mom uses)". I wouldn't do it to anyone I wasn't close to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)