Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Dinner time drama

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM
  • 243 Replies

I cook a lot. I am a trained chef. So my meals are good if I may so so myself. But my daughter is ridiculously picky. I mean ridiculous. I made homemade chicken alfredo tonight and roasted broccoli on the side. She refused to eat the pasta or the chicken at all. I cut her portion in half and asked her to eat half because it was not anything unusual and she still refused. I told her if she would not eat her dinner then she needed to go to bed. So she said fine I would rather go to bed. I don't want her to go to bed hungry and I do not want to fight. How do you punish your children when they refuse to eat? Do you let them get away with it? I am so annoyed and aggravated. 

by on Aug. 20, 2014 at 7:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmandaWiggins
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 10:32 PM
1 mom liked this
My son doesn't get down from the table until what I think is enough has been eaten. One time about a year snd a half ago he sat there for over an hour and then he learned he will never win that battle. So now he eats without hesitation and he also doesn't go to bed hungry bc of that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 20, 2014 at 11:12 PM
17 moms liked this

People are entitled to their own tastes, likes and dislikes.  Make things that are healthy that she likes.  She doesn't have to like alfredo, just becaue you are good at making it. 

A lot of young child prefer plainer, simpler food. Reintroduce your specialties later down the line.  Also work on menu planning with her.  Tell her a couple choices of things you could cook.  Tell her the name and show her a picture.  Ask her to help with menu planning. "Which one should be cook for dinner on Monday?  o.k. for Tuesday, should we go with pasta and veggies, or tacos? yay, your a great chef's helper. "  Remind her she picked the dinner while preparing it..call it her dinner..."tonight we are serving Emily's yummy tacos."

I used to offer an alternative if my son refused.  I would ask him to try, more than once.  if it was a fail, I told him he could have an apple, or some cheese  from the fridge.  (just nutritious stuff.) No sending kids to bed hungry.

Lindalou907
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:04 AM
1 mom liked this

Well, don't cave in and make her anything special, that much I learned the hard way.I wouldn't make her go to bed, but I sure wouldn't give her anything else to eat. She will learn.

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 6:46 AM
3 moms liked this

sorry, no help here from me.  I loathe alfredo, it reeks of vomit to me.

I'm not gourmet chef, but we do have a three bite rule.  you have to take at least three bites of everything on your plate.  if you don't care for it, you can have more veggies or an extra protein. 

if she's outright refusing it eat it, I would respect that after three bites.  I only send them to bed early for being naughty, and not liking something I made doesn't fit the criteria.  hell, I make alfredo here and I won't eat it.  everyone else does though so I just make buttered noodles for myself. 

schultzal
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 7:33 AM
9 moms liked this
I don't punish over food, or make mealtimes a battle. If my daughter doesn't want to eat, that's fine. But I only offer healthy options and there are absolutely no treats if she's not eating meals. She eats when she's hungry, without a fight.
eyegal2020
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:06 AM
6 moms liked this

I understand if she doesn't like alfredo but she does this over everything. She hates everything. I try to make meals she will like but I will not plan every meal every night around her. She is very picky and I will not make me and my SO suffer because she hates everything. I cook well balanced healthy home cooked meals every night and she makes a bad face and pushes it away. I will not give her anything else healthy or not. I grew up with the rules you eat what is cooked or you eat nothing at all. It is my rule too. I tried the three bite thing and she insulted me and my food and refused to take one bite. If I let her have an apple every time she didn't like what I cooked she would only eat apples. I had to eat what my mother cooked and now I have an expansive pallete. I refuse to have a child that grows up eating only what she wants. She does not make the rules and she will learn to eat healthy and well rounded meals. I just wish I could make it happen without a fight.

fostermommy1
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 11:35 AM
3 moms liked this

I don't punish, they just go to bed hungry.  It's their choice.  My only requirement with something new is that they take one bite.  They are welcome to load up on veggies and the sides AFTER they take one bite of the main dish.

JRSMOM0621
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:30 PM

I agree wtih this

Quoting Anonymous:

People are entitled to their own tastes, likes and dislikes.  Make things that are healthy that she likes.  She doesn't have to like alfredo, just becaue you are good at making it. 

A lot of young child prefer plainer, simpler food. Reintroduce your specialties later down the line.  Also work on menu planning with her.  Tell her a couple choices of things you could cook.  Tell her the name and show her a picture.  Ask her to help with menu planning. "Which one should be cook for dinner on Monday?  o.k. for Tuesday, should we go with pasta and veggies, or tacos? yay, your a great chef's helper. "  Remind her she picked the dinner while preparing it..call it her dinner..."tonight we are serving Emily's yummy tacos."

I used to offer an alternative if my son refused.  I would ask him to try, more than once.  if it was a fail, I told him he could have an apple, or some cheese  from the fridge.  (just nutritious stuff.) No sending kids to bed hungry.

Proud mommy of 2 boys and a beautiful angel

DisabledVet
by on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:41 PM

Our rule is you have to try at least 2 bites of everything. If you don't you get nothing else. Let her go to bed hungry a few times. She won't be harmed.

SuckIt69
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:53 PM
My daughter is extremely picky. I don't fight with her. I'm not going to force them to eat. If they don't want eat fine, but they're not getting any dessert.

In order for them to get after dinner dessert, they have to eat all three meals that day. If they don't, they don't get dessert.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN