Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Snack Time Trouble!!!

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM
  • 7 Replies

Both my kids have snack time - I think this is common now days.  The school sends home a note that says send only  healthy snacks and has many suggestions.  I would have sent a healthy snack without this caveat. So my kids are there with their Thermos of cold water and fruit  HOWEVER, they are sitting at tables where every kids is eating FUNYUNS, CHIPS, DONUTS and one even brought a HALF a PACKAGE of Cookies - the family size bag.  WHY? 

Now my kids have started their year-long whine about why are they the only ones who follow the rules - blah blah. SO frustrating.

Why do this to your kids then attack the doctor when they say your child is obese!  The school is trying to help you!

EDIT: I do not have any trouble finding healthy snacks my kids love (thanks for the tips though).  I am saying the rule is no junk food and DAY 2 of school parents are breaking this rule and nobody cares!   I have to spend the whole year explaining that it is not ok to break rule even if EVERYONE else does and does not get in trouble. 

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
BmoreRavens
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Instead of the fruit - how about a compromise if your children like granola bars? 

Top 5 healthy granola bars & how to create homemade granola recipes

On a long nature hike, you probably wouldn’t reach for a candy bar for an energy boost, but many granola bars pack a similar amount of fat and sugar. For a homemade healthy snack, your best bet is making your own granola bars: It’s easy, cost-effective and customizable. Try out our recipe, below, with your favorite ingredients.

If you’re in a crunch for a bar, though, there are few grocery store picks that make the health cut with generous servings of fiber and protein without tons of sugar.

Planters NUTrition Digestive Health Bar
160 calories, 9 g fat, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 4 g protein
This nutty pick offers 20% of your daily fiber intake.

Nature’s Path Organic Apple Pie Chia Seed Plus
190 calories, 8 g fat, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 3 g protein
Get a sweet crunch without too much sugar in this tasty bar.

Cascadian Farms Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
80 calories, 3 g fat, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 1 g protein
Choose these lighter bars for a quick, fiber-filled snack.

Kashi Trail Mix Bar 
140 calories, 5 g fat, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 6 g protein
Not too sweet and perfect for a hike.

Nature Valley Peanut, Almond &
Dark Chocolate Flavored Protein Bar

190 calories, 12 g fat, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 10 g protein
For serious hunger, grab one of these protein-packed bars.

OR MAKE YOUR OWN!

• 3 cups of rolled oats (not instant oats)
  • ½ cup of canola oil
  • ¼ cup of honey
  • ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1½ cup of a combination of chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit and seeds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine wet ingredients with oats and stir to coat well. Stir in your desired add-ins.

2. Lightly grease a 9-in. x 13-in. baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish, making sure it’s a uniform thickness. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before cutting out about 16 bars.

Estimated calorie count: 200

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 10:51 AM

First off it isn't fair to say anything about what anyone else does.  2nd how do you know they are attacking their dtrs or even know what is said at their dtrs appts?

Be creative send in healthy homemade muffins, as the poster above said homemade granola bars are awesome, banana bread etc.

Or I do mini bagels with a mini cream cheese sided with a few pcs of cubed cheese and fruit my kids LOVE this. 

Pecuellar
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:28 AM

We do a variety of fun snacks.  That day just happened to be fruit.  My son loves grapes.

Quoting BmoreRavens:

Instead of the fruit - how about a compromise if your children like granola bars? 

Top 5 healthy granola bars & how to create homemade granola recipes

On a long nature hike, you probably wouldn’t reach for a candy bar for an energy boost, but many granola bars pack a similar amount of fat and sugar. For a homemade healthy snack, your best bet is making your own granola bars: It’s easy, cost-effective and customizable. Try out our recipe, below, with your favorite ingredients.

If you’re in a crunch for a bar, though, there are few grocery store picks that make the health cut with generous servings of fiber and protein without tons of sugar.

Planters NUTrition Digestive Health Bar
160 calories, 9 g fat, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugar, 4 g protein
This nutty pick offers 20% of your daily fiber intake.

Nature’s Path Organic Apple Pie Chia Seed Plus
190 calories, 8 g fat, 3 g fiber, 8 g sugar, 3 g protein
Get a sweet crunch without too much sugar in this tasty bar.

Cascadian Farms Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
80 calories, 3 g fat, 3 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 1 g protein
Choose these lighter bars for a quick, fiber-filled snack.

Kashi Trail Mix Bar 
140 calories, 5 g fat, 4 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 6 g protein
Not too sweet and perfect for a hike.

Nature Valley Peanut, Almond &
Dark Chocolate Flavored Protein Bar

190 calories, 12 g fat, 5 g fiber, 6 g sugar, 10 g protein
For serious hunger, grab one of these protein-packed bars.

OR MAKE YOUR OWN!

• 3 cups of rolled oats (not instant oats)
  • ½ cup of canola oil
  • ¼ cup of honey
  • ½ cup of unsweetened applesauce
  • 1½ cup of a combination of chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit and seeds

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine wet ingredients with oats and stir to coat well. Stir in your desired add-ins.

2. Lightly grease a 9-in. x 13-in. baking dish. Press the mixture into the dish, making sure it’s a uniform thickness. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes, until the top is golden brown. Allow it to cool completely before cutting out about 16 bars.

Estimated calorie count: 200

Pecuellar
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:32 AM

It was just an example not an attack.  I have seen/heard people disagree with their doctors when the Dr says that a child is over on the obesity chart.  A person I personally know believes that since her child has been overweight since she was 6 months old she is "normal" even though her child is at least 20% over.  I am just saying that unhealthy weight and unhealthy snacking is linked however suprising that is for some people. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

First off it isn't fair to say anything about what anyone else does.  2nd how do you know they are attacking their dtrs or even know what is said at their dtrs appts?

Be creative send in healthy homemade muffins, as the poster above said homemade granola bars are awesome, banana bread etc.

Or I do mini bagels with a mini cream cheese sided with a few pcs of cubed cheese and fruit my kids LOVE this. 

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Okay well I gave you some great suggestions for your child.  I don't care what others do if it doesn't affect myself or my family and this wouldn't even register for me. 

Quoting Pecuellar:

It was just an example not an attack.  I have seen/heard people disagree with their doctors when the Dr says that a child is over on the obesity chart.  A person I personally know believes that since her child has been overweight since she was 6 months old she is "normal" even though her child is at least 20% over.  I am just saying that unhealthy weight and unhealthy snacking is linked however suprising that is for some people. 

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Pecuellar
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:39 AM

I don't really care either except that I have to have the conversation with my children all year long  explaining that it is not OK to break rules even if everyone else is and no one cares.  My first grader understands healthy snacking but doesn't understand why her neighbor gets a "treat" everyday and she doesn't.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Okay well I gave you some great suggestions for your child.  I don't care what others do if it doesn't affect myself or my family and this wouldn't even register for me. 

Quoting Pecuellar:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Explain simply different rules different houses.  This is what I taught them when they started school and my rules were different than there were for other kids.  Not in school but as far as how they were raised.

Quoting Pecuellar:

I don't really care either except that I have to have the conversation with my children all year long  explaining that it is not OK to break rules even if everyone else is and no one cares.  My first grader understands healthy snacking but doesn't understand why her neighbor gets a "treat" everyday and she doesn't.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting Pecuellar:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)