Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

A reveal party to tell everyone the gender of an unborn child. Stupid or not??

Posted by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM
  • 311 Replies
3 moms liked this

Ive never heard of it before but after my MIL told the story I thought it was a really cute thing to do!

So, my MIL has a friend that her granddaughter who is about 26 or so but is not married and doesn't plan to be is pregnant. Granddaughter went to the doctor with a friend and the doctor put in an envelope what the gender of the baby is. The friend took the envelope to a bakery where cupcakes were made for this party. The cupcakes were with pink or blue icing in them. They got both sides of the family of the baby's mom and dad together and when everyone bit into their cupcake it would reveal pink or blue icing to tell what the gender of the baby is. I said "oh how cute!" My MIL says "I think it's stupid" and "why celebrate something like that?" I'm like why, your celebrating life. She says they are not married and don't plan to be. I said but there is a baby and your celebrating life. She thinks it's just stupid and said that's what's wrong with our world today. My husband agrees that it was stupid. It just really bothers me and I wanted to vent. I totally think it's the cutest thing, married or not. What do you guys think?

by on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luke8212013
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 8:52 PM
12 moms liked this

I think they are being weird. Finding out if the baby is a girl or a boy IS exciting. Doesn't matter if you are married, single, etc. And the gender reveal parties are a good excuse to get your good friends and family together :)

CheerioHolder
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:01 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it's silly too. Not because they're not married, just the cupcake reveal in general.
lonelymoon
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:08 PM
6 moms liked this
I think it is super fun and exciting! Why not?!
aidensmom0407
by Member on Aug. 27, 2014 at 9:12 PM
8 moms liked this

But isn't the baby shower the celebration of the baby's life?  now people are having reveal parties too?

vilandra
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM
4 moms liked this
a friend of mine had a baby shower/gender reveal/1st birthday for their oldest daughter and had the older daughter open a box that had the color balloons inside to reveal the gender. it was super cute. I didn't or wouldn't do a gender reveal party. when I revealed the gender of my baby I posted on facebook that if I showed a pic of my hair dyed blue it was a boy and purple if it was a girl. a couple hours later I revealed the new purple hair pic.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 28, 2014 at 5:47 PM
26 moms liked this

I think it's stupid and that has nothing to do with being married or not.  I just think it's one more "look at me!" moment people just have to do these days. 

JTE11
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 6:52 PM
8 moms liked this

I don't know if I think it's actually stupid, but it seems unnecessary. What you described is very cute, but I don't see a need for it. There is usually a baby shower to celebrate the upcoming baby, which is a party, and now people are doing gender reveal parties. I kind of get the feeling that some mothers are trying to suck every last bit of attention they can get from people just because they're pregnant, lol. It's not something I'd ever do, because other people would find out when the baby is born (at the latest), so I don't see the need to throw a party just to give out a small bit of info. But then again I'm very no-frills. I don't care to be the center of attention, so all of these parties would be a big PITA for me. I can just say "Hey, it's a girl" and not have to go through all of the BS of a party. Not ot mention my family would laugh me out of town if I suggested we have one, I know they'd find it ridiculous. However, if other women want to do it and their friends and family don't get annoyed by it then I don't see why they shouldn't, married or not.

kclough
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:00 PM
1 mom liked this
Exactly! That's what I say!

Quoting lonelymoon: I think it is super fun and exciting! Why not?!
kclough
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:02 PM
3 moms liked this
But a baby shower you get gifts and all that fun stuff. This is just a get together to let everyone know at the same time what the gender of the baby is going to be. Just another fun get together for the baby.

Quoting aidensmom0407:

But isn't the baby shower the celebration of the baby's life?  now people are having reveal parties too?

kclough
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 11:06 PM
6 moms liked this
I guess I'm just one of those people that anything about new babies I think is cute and fun. I just love babies!!!

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I think it's stupid and that has nothing to do with being married or not.  I just think it's one more "look at me!" moment people just have to do these days. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)