Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Our kids can't be friends because of that?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 124 Replies
2 moms liked this
DS's birthday was Tuesday. He turned 8. DH and I decided to give him my old iPhone for his birthday since I upgraded a few months ago. So of course he went to school yesterday all excited that he got a phone for his birthday. At drop off this morning DS best friends mom pulled me aside and asked if we really got him a phone for his birthday. I told her yes and she went off on me. She told me I am raising a spoiled child and that by giving him a phone we have ruined his friendship with her kid. She will not allow her child to be friends with my kid anymore.

I'm so pissed. How dare she. My son is the top of his class. He is GT and is working a grade level ahead of his. He is a very mature and responsible kid. The rules are that he only use his phone at school to use one of the educational apps on it. His teachers are fine with this and even suggested we get him an ipod (we decided the phone would suit him better) to use at school. Some of his classwork involves using one, he was borrowing one from school but it was becoming a hassle for him to have to go check one out daily.

Anyway, I just don't understand his friends mom. I'm sorry if her son has started asking for a phone but that is not my problem. My son spends a lot of school vacations at his grandparents houses out of state. We decided it was a good idea to get him a phone so we can have constant contact with him while he is gone.

I hate the jealousy of some people and making their kids suffer because of it.
Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PogoPalOj
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 9:44 AM
19 moms liked this

bumpMoms now a days don't seem to think it is important for kids to learn to live with disappointment.  Just because Johnny has something doesn't mean you need to have it too.  Idiots!

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:39 PM
52 moms liked this

The other mom is being ridiculous.  And I say that as a mom who would never buy my 8yo a phone.  My kids have friends with electronics even though my kids have none of their own.  Doesn't mean they can't still be friends.  It sounds like it's some sort of jealousy thing on the other mom's part.

You have your reasons for wanting your 8yo to have a phone.  I have my reasons for not wanting my 7yo and 9yo to have a phone.  Neither one of us is wrong and we can still all live together in harmony.

amonkeymom
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:45 PM
3 moms liked this

That's pretty sad and actually really selfish & jealous of the other mom/family.  Just because my kid's friend has something and my kid doesn't it isn't a reason to stop being friends.

RandiBear
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 3:21 AM
15 moms liked this

Yea...I have gotten that kind of crap over giving my son my old kindle fire when i upgraded. Yes, he was a 3 yr old with a kindle. He played with puzzle games and word games and such on it. It's still what he does with it...though he watches Netflix on it too. She was mad because her then 5 yr old threw a tantrum because she wouldnt let him play with her iphone, citing MY son was allowed to have electronics. I laughed and said "Okay, so then you shouldnt be allowed to take your son on vacation because MY son isn't going on one...and your son shouldn't were name brand clothes and shoes because mine doesn't. Oh, and because I don't let my son have red dye...you must cut it out of your family diet too!"

WesternNYmom
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 5:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I've gotten flack for the fact that my kids have an ipod. They got one from my sister for Christmas and they share it. They use it to play games, and occasionally, to watch netflix. I really don't care what some stranger out in public thinks. At least when we are at a resturant, or in the waiting area at the doctor's office, my kids are sitting quietly playing a game, and not running around and screaming on top of their lungs.  Most of my kids friends have some kind of portable game device, and I don't see the big deal with them as long as they are not on it 24/7.

Sheila79
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 7:20 AM
1 mom liked this
Ridiculous. If a child has an electronic it should depend on maturity or else it's gonna break. If your child is mature I don't see anything wrong with him having a phone and that's just jealousy from the other mom how immature
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 29, 2014 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Some people do and say crazy things...

What you give your child has nothing to do with what she doesn't give hers... plain and simple... Sad for her son... he is missing a chance to learn a lesson here because of her stupidity.

KikiKia
by Member on Aug. 29, 2014 at 10:55 AM
2 moms liked this

Wow, poor kid (the other mom's kid)

She sounds like she has some deep seeded issues

wendythewriter
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 8:06 AM
4 moms liked this

I would wonder if there's something more to it. I have a 13 yr old and a 10 yr old, neither of whom have phones. I would not end their friendship with another child just because that child has a phone, even if I felt it was unnecessary for that other child to have a phone. 

But based on her saying that you're raising a spoiled child, etc. -- I wonder if something has happened. Maybe the two kids had an argument or something? Maybe her child said something that made your son sound like a spoiled brat, or maybe your son said something that was misunderstood? 

I don't know that I would waste my time trying to figure out what she was thinking, but I just can't help but think that it was about more than the phone. Maybe the phone was the last straw, or the excuse that seemed the most legit for her, but I don't think this was just about "Oh, your kid has a phone. Our kids can't be friends anymore." 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 8:19 AM
8 moms liked this

I would be pissed too!!!  Your son is too young for that stuff.  Trust me when I say this....you are creating a kid that will not respect you, listen to you or have values.  When we were kids (me anyway) didnt have that kind of stuff.  I lived my childhood just fine without Atari and whatever the lastest and greatest was.  My kids are going to know moral values and how to respect other people.  Why do you need to stay in constant contact with you kid while his at his grandparents?  You're the type of mom that smothers.  I am sure that his grandparents have a phone or a landline that you can call on to check on him.  No need for kids that age to have that much technology at their hands.  They are not mentally prepared for that type of responsibility!!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)