Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Venting Booth The Venting Booth

Stop calling yourself a wife!!!!

Posted by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM
  • 826 Replies
59 moms liked this

NO, being with someone and having their kid doesn't make you a wife! 

Ok let me explain my rant. I have a friend I met in nursing school who refers to her baby's father as her "husband." When I asked her how long they have been married for she said, "Well we're not really married but we've been together for 8 years and we live together and have a kid."..... How is that the same as being married?? Do you have an actual marriage certificate?? I'm sorry but legally and technically that's not your husband. It gets on my nerves when other women try to give themselves the wife title, but they aren't even married. If you really want to be a "wife" that bad then why aren't you married?? Since then I have ran into a couple other people with the same issue that claim to be a wife but aren't married. lol NO, you are not a wife. You are a girlfriend. 

by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:04 PM
150 moms liked this

They live together, are in a committed relationship, and have a child together, aside from a marriage certificate, how is that different than being married?

aurora.dove
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM
113 moms liked this

Actually, a lot of states consider it a common law marriage after 7 years, it's still considered legal and binding if you choose to say you are married then you are. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:05 PM
21 moms liked this

I see it this way.

They've been in a committed relationship for eight years. I don't know about you, but that's longer than many marriages I have seen.

My own mother has been married four times and each marriage has lasted maybe two or three years.

I've been married almost nine years and while I don't consider us having been married for a long time, but when it comes to marriage or relationship advice. I'd consider your friend's over some one who's been married and divorced in only a few years.

mommy1234242
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:09 PM
9 moms liked this

So any judge would see that as a validated marriage?  Living together and having a child doesn't define a marriage alone. 

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

They live together, are in a committed relationship, and have a child together, aside from a marriage certificate, how is that different than being married?

AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM
35 moms liked this

It depends on the state, some still recognize common law marriages.  Either way, it's not hurting you, so don't worry about it.

Quoting mommy1234242:

So any judge would see that as a validated marriage?  Living together and having a child doesn't define a marriage alone. 

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

)0(
mommy1234242
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:10 PM
2 moms liked this

When I asked her if she ever wanted to get married she said she would love to but her baby's father isn't ready and that he says "if it ain't broken don't fix it"... SO marriage is a fix to any problem?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:11 PM
68 moms liked this

If she is fulfilling the role of a wife, other than a piece of paper, get over it.  Pull yourself on out of the dark ages and into the new millenium.  Oh, and get a life.  If a friend calling themselves a wife gets you all bent out of shape, you have your OWN issues to deal with.

CABZS
by Bronze Member on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:13 PM
15 moms liked this
If they have that bond so be it!!

You know marriage certificates weren't always around right? Were those people not really married? Other countries don't have certificates, are they not married?

The only technicality is the legalities, that is what you are hung up on. How sad that you ferl you need a piece of paper to have that relationship.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM
9 moms liked this
Why do you need a judge to validate your relationship, feelings and love for someone?

Quoting mommy1234242:

Quoting AnnieGoolaheey:

mommy1234242
by on Aug. 30, 2014 at 1:15 PM
4 moms liked this

No she isn't fulfilling the role of a wife, she wants to be married but her bf doesn't. Obviously he doesn't want to put a ring on it. And honey I could care less about her situation, it's a quick rant for a reason calm your shit.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

If she is fulfilling the role of a wife, other than a piece of paper, get over it.  Pull yourself on out of the dark ages and into the new millenium.  Oh, and get a life.  If a friend calling themselves a wife gets you all bent out of shape, you have your OWN issues to deal with.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN