Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are they really safe on the school bus?

Posted by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM
  • 6 Replies

School Bus Driver Accused of DUI After Taking 67 Kids on Scary Ride

Lycia MartinezIn what I can only imagine was a hair-raising and terrifying bus ride, Utah school bus driver Lycia Martinez, 39, was arrested on suspicion of DUI Monday. A video captured by an onlooker shows the bus weaving and crossing lanes. The view from inside must have been even more horrifying.

A parent on the bus called 911. "She can't stay in the lanes, she's crossing the double lines, and the adults are getting scared," said the caller. "We have a long ways to go with this lady, and we are not feeling secure."

Later the caller said, "Oh my hell. ... I don't get scared very easily, but my heart is pounding." It's easy to see why.

Somehow -- fortunately -- no one was hurt. The students, fifth and sixth graders on their way to a student council conference at Brigham Young University, were apparently unaware of the danger they were in. After Martinez failed a field sobriety test, a new driver was brought in and took the students the rest of the way.

What caused Martinez's erratic behavior isn't clear at this time, though she did have anti-anxiety and blood pressure medications in her purse, according to police. Whether or not the school district knew about her prescription is not known.

There have been a number of other cases where school bus drivers have been found to be drunk or under the influence of drugs while driving children to school, and they're more than a bit concerning no matter why they occur.  It's terrifying to think you could put your children on the bus to go to school or on a field trip and have the very person you trust to get them there safely, not in any shape to drive.

I appreciate the work these drivers do every day, and there are many good ones who deliver thousands of children safely every day. But cases like this do remind us that there are exceptions, and that revisiting school policies about random drug testing of drivers and other precautions may be warranted.

Do you feel like your children are safe on their school bus?

by on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:39 PM

wow mine is not on a bus yet so im not sure but one of my Friends moms growing up is bus driver and i have 2 friends that r bus drivers and they drive for the distic my kids well b in so i will be ok if it happens to one of them as of now my friend does this rout but idk how i will fell when the time comes 

Tigress22304
by Bronze Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 9:42 PM
Yes because there are 2-3 other adults besides the driver on the bus at all times.
Momof3girls478
by New Member on Oct. 15, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Im a school bus driver. I WISH there was atleast 1 other adult on the bus with me! The elementary kids i drive get out of hand alot and i sure could use the help when im trying to drive!

Are there always extra adults on your childrens bus? Or does your childrens bus have some special need students on it? In my area the only way we have what they call " monitors" on our buses is if we have atleast 1 special needs student on it. Then its only if the school approves it.

Quoting Tigress22304: Yes because there are 2-3 other adults besides the driver on the bus at all times.
Tigress22304
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 6:14 AM

BDC is strictly special needs students-it's a regional school-state law-for every town there's a special needs student-there's to be a monitor-so many kids=so many monitors.

These ladies and gentlemen are trained (drivers included) to handle these kids. They are all driving...its not the big buses.....its not the small short bus either-I guess the medium bus?!

I've seen the long buses at my old high school-they're overpacked-kids are out of control-there's only the bus driver....it's insane!

You have my utmost respect. Seriously I couldn't do your job because I would be turning into Nazi Mom (SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!)

Quoting Momof3girls478: Im a school bus driver. I WISH there was atleast 1 other adult on the bus with me! The elementary kids i drive get out of hand alot and i sure could use the help when im trying to drive! Are there always extra adults on your childrens bus? Or does your childrens bus have some special need students on it? In my area the only way we have what they call " monitors" on our buses is if we have atleast 1 special needs student on it. Then its only if the school approves it.
Quoting Tigress22304: Yes because there are 2-3 other adults besides the driver on the bus at all times.

Momof3girls478
by New Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM
Haha ( nazi mom) !! Thanks though!! It is alot harder then people think!! I had a new run last year and had a few parents at 1 bus stop try to get me fired! Because i was " yelling" at the kids!! I have 50 + kids on a bus screaming fighting jumping around etc!! I cant whisper and have them hear me!. The 1 mom was yelling at me how i shouldnt be driving kids etc!! When i tried to explain to her she was like " ive driven my son & so e of his friends before" i was like " what maybe 4 kids in your suv? Try over 50 on a bus then come tell me about it "

Thank god we have video cameras with audio on it on our buses!! When it went to the superintendent the video was pulled & the superintendent sided with me!

But as for this post driving drunk is uncalled for anytime let alone while driving a school bus!!!! Thats one thing i absolutely cannot stand!! Drunk drivers!!! If they want to kill themselves so be it.. But do it some other way not where theyre also risking the lives of innocent ppl!

Quoting Tigress22304:

BDC is strictly special needs students-it's a regional school-state law-for every town there's a special needs student-there's to be a monitor-so many kids=so many monitors.

These ladies and gentlemen are trained (drivers included) to handle these kids. They are all driving...its not the big buses.....its not the small short bus either-I guess the medium bus?!

I've seen the long buses at my old high school-they're overpacked-kids are out of control-there's only the bus driver....it's insane!

You have my utmost respect. Seriously I couldn't do your job because I would be turning into Nazi Mom (SIT DOWN AND SHUT UP!)

Quoting Momof3girls478: Im a school bus driver. I WISH there was atleast 1 other adult on the bus with me! The elementary kids i drive get out of hand alot and i sure could use the help when im trying to drive!

Are there always extra adults on your childrens bus? Or does your childrens bus have some special need students on it? In my area the only way we have what they call " monitors" on our buses is if we have atleast 1 special needs student on it. Then its only if the school approves it.

Tigress22304
by Bronze Member on Oct. 16, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I know of somebody who was screaming at the bus driver (it was a parent) because he told the kids they were not going anywhere until they calmed down-(they were heading to afterprom) and there was a mom fipping shit.

I knew the bus driver personally-hes a great guy-quiet-if he raised his voice-you were in some serious shit.

And he told her "If you think you can drive this bus with all that noise and racket and unsafe kids in the back be my guest-but since you are not licensed to do so-I will be-And if they can't obey my rules-they can get off my bus and I will continue on my route"

Needless to say a LOT of parents shut up (afterprom was a huge deal) and got their kids under control.

As far as drinking goes-my thoughts are this-if you're drinking or popping pills/meds YOU DO NOT BELONG BEHIND THE WHEEL!

This is why i failed my drivers test-because they say how many hours after you had this much to drink should you be driving-and my answer is the same-wait til it's out of your system COMPLETELY!

And I failed everytime (to this day I still dont drive and I still dont know the correct answer)

Quoting Momof3girls478: Haha ( nazi mom) !! Thanks though!! It is alot harder then people think!! I had a new run last year and had a few parents at 1 bus stop try to get me fired! Because i was " yelling" at the kids!! I have 50 + kids on a bus screaming fighting jumping around etc!! I cant whisper and have them hear me!. The 1 mom was yelling at me how i shouldnt be driving kids etc!! When i tried to explain to her she was like " ive driven my son & so e of his friends before" i was like " what maybe 4 kids in your suv? Try over 50 on a bus then come tell me about it " Thank god we have video cameras with audio on it on our buses!! When it went to the superintendent the video was pulled & the superintendent sided with me! But as for this post driving drunk is uncalled for anytime let alone while driving a school bus!!!! Thats one thing i absolutely cannot stand!! Drunk drivers!!! If they want to kill themselves so be it.. But do it some other way not where theyre also risking the lives of innocent ppl!
Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting Momof3girls478: Im a school bus driver. I WISH there was atleast 1 other adult on the bus with me! The elementary kids i drive get out of hand alot and i sure could use the help when im trying to drive! Are there always extra adults on your childrens bus? Or does your childrens bus have some special need students on it? In my area the only way we have what they call " monitors" on our buses is if we have atleast 1 special needs student on it. Then its only if the school approves it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)