Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you use a spray bottle as punishment for a child??

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
  • 46 Replies

I have a friend who uses a spray bottle as punishment for her sounds bad mouth by sprayin him in the face when he calls her names or talks trash. I would never in a million years think that this a good punishment! Its a kid not a dog! Thoughts on this?? Do any of you use this method and whats your reasoning??? This is nuts to me!

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sydel
by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:21 PM
2 moms liked this

How old is the kid? I've jokingly sprayed my kids but would never seriously attempt to use as a form of discipline. I wouldn't call this child abuse or anything. I'm glad she's not hitting them. In Big Bang Theory Sheldon was able to train Penny using chocolates so..... yeah....

MrsTurner21
by New Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Quoting Sydel:

How old is the kid? I've jokingly sprayed my kids but would never seriously attempt to use as a form of discipline. I wouldn't call this child abuse or anything. I'm glad she's not hitting them. In Big Bang Theory Sheldon was able to train Penny using chocolates so..... yeah....

The therapist the boy sees (9yrs old) told the mother to do it. He has discipline issues as well as respect. I mean my mother used to pop me with a towel just playing around but he is sprayed directly in the face. Abuse no Im a child of abuse and this isnt it but I think its a bit dehumanizing.

bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Hes a human being not a puppy peeing on the carpet, dont agree with it. My neighbor used to use soap in her kids mouth, she threatened to do it to me one day. Umm not happening.

JTE11
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:05 PM
1 mom liked this

It's not very respectful of the child, and very unlikely to make him have a better attitude toward his mother in the end. When your child is acting out being disrespectful the last thing you want to do is try to belittle them and be disrespectful back, that doesn't build up the connection or the relationship because you come across as a hypocrite. I foresee a kid who will get bigger and act out in bigger ways as he gets older.

gee18
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 4:12 PM
My first thought was, a child isn't a dog. Not an okay punishment.
Arielsavedme
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Well.. Number one it is a wrong thing to do with any child.. That type behavior is worse than her own child calling her a bad name.. and then she goes and punishing him with spraying water onto his face.. What message is this child getting?  Very confused one, I should say..  A Time out, take his toys away and a spanking on the butt is better than spraying water in his face.. Let me hold her down and spray her face 24/7 and see how she likes it. She is not teaching him a damn thing.. She is the parent Step up and do something about is behavior and correct it

Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Lol, I think a time out would be the best course. No child should be calling his mother names or "trash talking" anyway.

KyliesMom5
by Member on Nov. 4, 2014 at 5:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Actually, I think it's a creative idea. They are using a technique that was originally created for whales and dolphins then tweaked and used to train dogs and now the method is used with autistic children. A water bottle is not going to hurt a child and I would think it would surprise the child enough that they would stop. Heck, over the summer, my sister who is MR started fussing at the pool and was getting nasty so I splashed her and it stopped her in tracks. It surprised her and she started laughing and she forgot about being upset.
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Woof! Woof!  I think it's dehumanizing as well.  Maybe she is trying to teach the child to be water cannon tolerate for later in life.  I don't know! LOL

Sissy-Smurf
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Absolutely not. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)