Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Her Nurse Is Gone

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
  • 8 Replies

If you have followed any of my posts you would know that my mom is schizophrenic and bipolar. She has been noncompliant with her medication.  I am in the process of trying to obtain guardianship without the support of her psychiatrist. November 23rd was her nurse's last day. I don't know all the details except she's on Medicare and has a spend down the nurse said she can't stay because she won't get paid.

I have tried everything from ignoring my mom to hand feeding her her meds. At this point I am just waiting for her to do something that will allow me to pink slip her so I can file for emergency guardianship. I tried in July and was shot down but now I have a journal, her case worker, and her nurse to back me.

So my mom came over on Friday and demanded that I give her her meds back. (I pulled them last month at her nurse's suggestion) She told me to go fuck myself and to leave her alone. She wants nothing to do with me.... except to make sure her bills are paid on the 3rd. Yesterday she came over to use my phone and I told her she wasn't allowed. She wants to call her friend Mark whose mom called me on Friday and told me to keep my mom the hell away from her equally mentally ill son.

Thanksgiving is Thursday and I have no intentions of including my mom. Last year she drank with her meds and put her dog on the table with the turkey!! It was really embaressing.

I feel like a total bitch. I feel like I'm a bad daughter for not already having her in a home already. I feel like it's wrong to celebrate holidays without my mother. (I was waised Jehovah Witness so I have NO idea I even feel obligated to include her). But at the same time I feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I was told by the Nami people that if she doesn't want me in her life then I have to let go. Let her do bad all by herself. I'm not ready to let go forever but I am ready for this break.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Patti-Gee
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Do you mean Medicaid, Medicare doesn't have a spend down.  

little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM
You don't need to feel bad. And you deserve a break
Sydel
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Whichever has the spend down. I'm not privy to her personal info like that. I have no legal authority and she doesn't share. Either way I'm taking a step back.

Quoting Patti-Gee:

Do you mean Medicaid, Medicare doesn't have a spend down.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM
You can only do whats legally allowed. Dont beat yourself up. Things have a way of working themselves out in time. I feel for you. I hope you can have a somewhat happy holiday <3
bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Hopefully everything works out for you soon. You have no reason to feel bad.

CaptNumo9
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I am sorry you are struggling. You are in such a difficult position. I so admire your persistance and grace. Here is an article about boundaries with an adult child, but I think the principles apply. Have a good thanksgiving "Break"! Hugs.

DisabledVet
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Sorry for your problems. But you do know this isn't really your Mom, it's her mental illness. Most patients have a hard time accepting they're ill and staying on their meds because of the side effects. Why is her psychiatrist not supportive?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 24, 2014 at 9:27 PM

She's sick though. It's not her fault!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)