Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

calling all moms who can buy tons of groceries on a dime

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 23 Replies
Please help me!!!!!! We are a family of 5, and they are killing me with food. I need to learn how to buy more for less. I will use coupons if I have them, I look online for coupons but most coupons I find are for things I don't buy or need. I usually buy off brand unless brsnd name is cheaper. I will check ads and have no problem going to multiple stores, I will even shop at discount stores. I do not have a membership to a Sam's club, should I? I spend $150 to $200 per week on groceries and am barely making it all week. I do not buy a lot of junk food. For snacks I buy fruit, veggies, granola bars, sometimes ice cream. An example on how much they eat... I bought 3 giant size (19.9oz) boxes of cereal, we still had 2 smaller boxes that were 1/4 full, that was Tuesday afternoon. So thismorning I noticed the 2 small boxes were gone, 1 big box was gone and the other 2 big boxes were 1/4 gone. The way its going, I will be out of cereal in 2 days. only 4 out of 5 are eating the cereal. Help me learn how to buy more for my dollar, I don't want to be a food nazi but geez
Posted by Anonymous on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 12, 2014 at 7:56 AM

How many times a day are people eating cereal? It sounds to me like they're using cereal as a snack. Are any of the fruits and veggies gone? And How old is everyone?

I spend about $125 a week in food for a family of 5, but the kids are young, 3 kids 8 and under. I buy bulk meats that can be used in more than one meal. For example, buying 3 pounds of ground beef and using one pound for spaghetti, one pound for meatloaf, and the other pound for tacos. I buy three pounds of chicken and use half for barbeque chicken and half for chicken noodle soup, or similar meals. I buy a lot of potatoes, rice, noodles, and dried beans to use in things like casseroles, soups, etc. Meals with few ingredients are a good way to reduce your spending. For fresh veggies, I buy things like celery, carrots, tomatoes, things that can be used as a snack and can also be used in meals, like beef stew, chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, pot pies, etc. We have a farmer's market in our area every Saturday, it's a lot cheaper to buy fresh fruits and veggies there than it is in the store. Things like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 12, 2014 at 8:10 AM
14, 13 and 7. Cereal is suppose to be for breakfast only, they will eat 3 bowels a pc plus eat breakfast at school. Dh is also a huge eater. I don't eat much, I usually just eat supper. I work crazy hours, so they could be eating it while I'm at work. We still have the healthy snacks, they eat those like crazy too. 2 yogurts a pc etc. I will check to see if we have a farmers market. 3lbs of hamburger would be used for one meatloaf with no left overs. These kids are skinny, not overweight.[
quote name="Anonymous 2" id="0"]

How many times a day are people eating cereal? It sounds to me like they're using cereal as a snack. Are any of the fruits and veggies gone? And How old is everyone?

I spend about $125 a week in food for a family of 5, but the kids are young, 3 kids 8 and under. I buy bulk meats that can be used in more than one meal. For example, buying 3 pounds of ground beef and using one pound for spaghetti, one pound for meatloaf, and the other pound for tacos. I buy three pounds of chicken and use half for barbeque chicken and half for chicken noodle soup, or similar meals. I buy a lot of potatoes, rice, noodles, and dried beans to use in things like casseroles, soups, etc. Meals with few ingredients are a good way to reduce your spending. For fresh veggies, I buy things like celery, carrots, tomatoes, things that can be used as a snack and can also be used in meals, like beef stew, chicken noodle soup, chicken and dumplings, pot pies, etc. We have a farmer's market in our area every Saturday, it's a lot cheaper to buy fresh fruits and veggies there than it is in the store. Things like that.

[/quote]
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Dec. 13, 2014 at 2:37 PM

If they are eating breakfast at school have them not eat at home.  Everyone needs cut back  a little on their eating habits.  A sit family meeting is in order to discuss it.   

Quoting Anonymous 1: 14, 13 and 7. Cereal is suppose to be for breakfast only, they will eat 3 bowels a pc plus eat breakfast at school. Dh is also a huge eater. I don't eat much, I usually just eat supper. I work crazy hours, so they could be eating it while I'm at work. We still have the healthy snacks, they eat those like crazy too. 2 yogurts a pc etc. I will check to see if we have a farmers market. 3lbs of hamburger would be used for one meatloaf with no left overs. These kids are skinny, not overweight.[ quote name="Anonymous 2" id="0"]

[/quote]

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Dec. 13, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Perhaps instead of cereal you need to feed them things that are packed with protein.... eggs (make and freeze breakfast burritos, etc).  Oatmeal is more filling than cold cereals as well and you can add a spoonful of peanut butter for more protein to keep them fuller longer. 

Check and see if you have a discount store that sells bread type products, price compare your grocery store's meat with that at a few different butchers as well as someplace like Sam's Club/Costco.

LoinND
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM

wow three bowls of cereal at a time seems excessive and they still eat at school... are you raising lumber jacks? ***BIG SMILE**** Maybe no more cereal - cereal is expensive maybe buy an alernative like oatmeal or grits... and close the kitchen at a certian time at night, my kitchen closes at nine.

The key to saving money on groceries for your family may nt be coupons - maybe buying more foods that have to be prepared - and encourage your children to cook some...

150 for 5 people just doesn't seem excessive... even 200 seems within a normal range, especially since your children are growing - do they play sports, cause mine both played football and baseball and during those seasons our food bill went up...

1mommy613
by on Dec. 13, 2014 at 5:26 PM
$150-200 a week?? That's crazy...
MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Dec. 13, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Get bagged cereal instead of boxed.

Get large tubs of plain yogurt instead of individual ones and have them add fruit/flavors to it.

Above all, GET FOOD THEY MUST PREPARE TO EAT. That curbs bored eating REALLY quick. Make your own frozen dinner/lunches. You can make burritos with rice for super cheap per meal, freeze it in a tupperwear thing and they can nuke it to eat a healthy meal fast but with some preparation involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2014 at 7:27 PM
cereal is more of a school day breakfast, I try to make nice breakfast on the weekends I dont work., but making eggs wouldnt kill me when not working on school days. they do eat oatmeal, i forgot to mention that. never thought about freezing burritos. thanks

Quoting amonkeymom:

Perhaps instead of cereal you need to feed them things that are packed with protein.... eggs (make and freeze breakfast burritos, etc).  Oatmeal is more filling than cold cereals as well and you can add a spoonful of peanut butter for more protein to keep them fuller longer. 

Check and see if you have a discount store that sells bread type products, price compare your grocery store's meat with that at a few different butchers as well as someplace like Sam's Club/Costco.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2014 at 7:30 PM
thank you. freezing meals is a great idea, sometimes they r on their own for supper cause of work(2 or3nights), i hate trying to come up with easy things cause its crap food

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Get bagged cereal instead of boxed.

Get large tubs of plain yogurt instead of individual ones and have them add fruit/flavors to it.

Above all, GET FOOD THEY MUST PREPARE TO EAT. That curbs bored eating REALLY quick. Make your own frozen dinner/lunches. You can make burritos with rice for super cheap per meal, freeze it in a tupperwear thing and they can nuke it to eat a healthy meal fast but with some preparation involved.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Dec. 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM
they are very tall skinny things lol. they dont play sports, i would understand it then. dd once ate 5 sandwiches for lunch and she sat on the couch all day. 150/200 is just food, nothing else. sometimes more e

Quoting LoinND:

wow three bowls of cereal at a time seems excessive and they still eat at school... are you raising lumber jacks? ***BIG SMILE**** Maybe no more cereal - cereal is expensive maybe buy an alernative like oatmeal or grits... and close the kitchen at a certian time at night, my kitchen closes at nine.

The key to saving money on groceries for your family may nt be coupons - maybe buying more foods that have to be prepared - and encourage your children to cook some...

150 for 5 people just doesn't seem excessive... even 200 seems within a normal range, especially since your children are growing - do they play sports, cause mine both played football and baseball and during those seasons our food bill went up...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)