Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Freaking Out Over Colposcopy on Monday

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
  • 2 Replies

I realize I'm probably being a big baby, that it'll probably turn out alright, that it probably isn't cancer. But I had three really difficult pregnancies, and I'm afraid of doctors and hospitals as it is. My current (not for long) OB had a nurse practitioner do my annual exam (which was fine), then had a nurse leave a voicemail a week later saying my pap was abnormal and I needed a biopsy. Talk about sensitivity and patient care! When I called to schedule the colposcopy, I was told the doctor couldn't see me for more than a month - so I would just have to sit and wonder until then. I ended up calling planned parenthood, and they are doing the colposcopy Monday - not a month from now.

So, I'm scared out of my mind. I had a colposcopy in my early 20s and it was painful, and then they had trouble stopping the bleeding from the biopsy site. Now, I'm back to it. I know logically that if I just went for a repeat pap in a few months, it could very likely be clear, but the colpo is recommended in everything I've read "just in case". Just a vent, really. I don't want to go, don't want to spend $300 three days before Christmas to have what will probably be a cervical biopsy. I've been crying and I feel shaky, like a big freaking baby. I feel like I should be stronger, braver - just open up my legs and say "cut out what you need to!" If any one knows of a kind, caring female OB/GYN on Indy's northside, I'd love some recommendations.

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 1:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
donnag013
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Never mind, I just saw the word colposcopy.

You'll be okay. I know it's scary, but it is part of life. I had an abnormal mammogram last year and sat on pins and needles for a week. We just have to do the best we can, hope and pray for good outcomes. ((((hugs))))

Mom2FourInIndy
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 4:36 PM

Thanks! The results of the biopsy will take a week, but at least I'm getting in somewhere Monday instead of the end of January - that would have been pins and needles for a lot longer. Ugh.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)