Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do I do about this????

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM
  • 4 Replies
My 3 year old refuses to pick up her clothes or toys. She just cries constantly. We can spat her bottom and she just cries, I can give her time out and she cries then she sits there and looks at you and cries until we get so frustrated that we send her to bed after an hour of her refusing to pick up clothes or toys. She says "but I don't want to". I'm at my wits end and need some help please!
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
APunchInTheFace
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:33 PM
Do you help pick up with her? Most kids at first need help then once they understand the task and very simple directions they can start to do it alone.

My dd is 3 in Feb, she can fully pick up all her toys. I've had her do this since she could walk. We have set cleanup times so its very routine.

Pickup before nap time and bedtime, before we eat lunch and dinner or leave the house etc....

She also has other tasks around the house.

Maybe make a game of it, put music on and show very some directions.

If she is still unwilling to help, get a black garbage bagand fill it up with all the toys. I tell my kids (in the past) tthey're going in the trash.

You could maybe "time out" her toys for a day or the morning/afternoon etc......once she sees you mean business she'll start to do it.

Always praise. Could do a sticker chart to help with picking up and unruly behavior.
AvonMom1109
by New Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 8:38 PM
I do help her but she still don't want to pick it up even when I tell her which one to pick up and where to put it. She then will scream at me. Her older sister who is 5 try to get her to help too but she won't. She's very stubborn and I've learned that if she don't want to do something it's like pulling teeth to get her to do it. Her sister on the other hand, you can give her THE look and she does what's she's told. She's was never this difficult.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 20, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Tell her any toys not picked up and picked up by her will be picked up by you and put in a bag and given away or put in the trash.
Cloths same thing
She loses a few of her favorite toys she will start picking up
Also stay consistent with punishment what you say goes and stick to it also give her praise and or a reward for picking up when you tell her
Stressed_Tiger
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Threaten to throw away the toys, if she doesn't clean them up.  I only had to throw out one or two (junkie kid meal type toys) before my daughter started running for any toy I vaguely described, let alone headed for myself.

I tell her if she wants to have them, she needs to take care of them.  If she doesn't take care of them (by putting them away) then she must not really want them.  Also, if I have to clean them up, I can get rid of whatever ones I want to (she's a bit of a packrat, and is 10 yrs old).  She can only keep the toys she can find a place off the floor for.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)