Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Merry f'ng Christmas mil

Posted by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

My live-in mil and I got into it again last week.  She won't stop herself from doing our laundry.  We have different styles/preferences.  I've asked her nicely, insisted strongly, and downright yelled at her to NOT do it over the past two years.  She feels that since she "knows" she can do it better, she's just going to do it.

I yelled at her to stop (after I got a nasty text from her about the laundry).  She tried to storm off, I followed her and tried to smooth things over.  I kept saying that we (she and I) couldn't keep living like this.  This animosity for each other is stressing everyone in the house, especially my DH.  She agreed that we can't continue this, but when I said we needed to resolve our issues, she insisted they couldn't be resolved.  Ok?  So, we can't keep living like this, but we can't resolve our issues either?  

Now, she's telling extended family that I'm kicking them out.  She has no desire to do anything Christmasy this year.  In the past she was dubbed "Little Miss Christmas".  She made a point earlier today of telling my DH that she just couldn't bring herself to do any of the decorating, etc.  So, of course, that put him in a mood.  Like she didn't know that saying something like that would bring him down.

My DH and I have been going to counselling, in no small part due to living with her for 2 yrs.  Our counsellor wanted to talk to my mil.  She went on Friday, alone.  I can only assume the counsellor told her things she didn't want to hear since she's got the Christmas Spirit knocked out of her.

Part of me just wants them to move out.  I know it shouldn't be under these conditions.  DH has promised them that they'll never have to move out again, and they'll certainly NEVER be put into a Home.  I've told him that there's no way I'm going to be the primary care giver for grumpy old people who don't like me.  mil already thinks I don't do anything right, it's only going to get worse as she gets older.

by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chrissara1011
by Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:24 PM
Is she damaging ur clothes... Just don't see the big deal of her helping out with laundry
little.worthen
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:28 PM
2 moms liked this

you're mad at her for doing your laundry?

she's doing your laundry for you and you're being picky about how its done?

you kinda sound like a bitch

SaskMummy
by Bronze Member on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:30 PM
What's the issue?
sweetsmom_23
by on Dec. 20, 2014 at 11:31 PM
I hate laundry. Lol If she were damaging certain things I just wouldn't put them in the basket. Old people need to feel useful and needed.

Are you a sahm or a working mom?
PinkEminem
by Member on Dec. 21, 2014 at 2:22 AM

That sucks. My EX (Thank GOD) MIL did my laundry a few times. I was mad because she ruined new underwear that I'd just bought because she bleached them. She said undwear were meant to be bleached. UH...WTF kind of issues do YOU have that you have to bleach them? And secondly, that's what color-safe bleach is for, you dummy! UGH... Anyway... I'm just SO GLAD I don't have to deal with his family anymore. I hope that you guys can work something out. Best of luck!

ETA: Oh yes, she also never dried the clothes well enough. They were always slightly damp, so they would start smelling weird after a while because they weren't dry when she took them out of the dryer.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Dec. 21, 2014 at 4:05 AM
1 mom liked this

I get it, even if no one else does.  I just have a thing about laundry.  my MIL has offered to help before, my late GMIL tried to help a few times.  and while i appreciated the offer, and the effort, they're not going to fold it like I need to have it folded to fit in the drawers.  I did let go enough to let them do the kids' clothes a couple of times, but I seriously don't get why no one seems to understand that I don't want other people washing my panties.  what's not to get?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Dec. 21, 2014 at 4:12 AM
Laundry??
angl_gurl1
by on Dec. 23, 2014 at 11:30 AM

its just laundry, so what if she sees ur panties 

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Dec. 23, 2014 at 11:38 AM
Really you're being petty
jmlmomma
by Member on Dec. 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM

I get it! I don't have nice clothes and still don't want anyone else doing my panties...My MIL included. Your right to be upset... You've asked more then once and she refuses to listen

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I get it, even if no one else does.  I just have a thing about laundry.  my MIL has offered to help before, my late GMIL tried to help a few times.  and while i appreciated the offer, and the effort, they're not going to fold it like I need to have it folded to fit in the drawers.  I did let go enough to let them do the kids' clothes a couple of times, but I seriously don't get why no one seems to understand that I don't want other people washing my panties.  what's not to get?

janinefall.jpg picture by lovestarbucks54

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)