Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why is there a promotion of suicide.

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:38 AM
  • 21 Replies

(Leelah) Josh Alcorn

I’m sorry for the way you felt, and your death is very sad, but not just because you were transgender. It’s because you felt no other way than to express you anger and sadness other than killing yourself.

I am deeply sorry that you couldn’t grow up to be the person you wanted & I hope that your story changed at least ONE persons mind about the effects of keeping their child away from the help they need, and forcing them to be something they are not.

But the underlying fact is She still committed suicide and it rarely mentions that in ANYTHING on the internet. Why is there not more help for people going threw this? Why are there not suicide hotlines specifically for the lgbt community? Have you ever called a suicide hotline? Its a cold answering service. I believe that more specialized services should be made maybe we all wouldn’t have to talk to a cold machine or person.

(I do relize that there are very few suicide hotlines for trans)

I am 20, I am pansexual and it took me a very long time to figure that out. I was confused from the time I entered 6th grade. I went threw the same journey everyone else did trying to find themselves in the middle/high school years. I’ve been around this community just about my whole life.My Mother and father parted when I was young (about 8?) because my father had came out of the closet. After that almost all my friends threw out my teenage years were bisexual, gay, transgendered or liked to dress in drag ( with or without complying to a sexual orientation/lifestyle as listed before)

I hope this helps you understand that my post is genuine and not attacking Leelah or anyone who supports her.

But why promote her committing suicide, why not promote healthy ways to talk to your child and resources for them.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 3:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mona165
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 4:14 AM
Sorry, what's pansexual?
bohomum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:00 AM

Quoting mona165: Sorry, what's pansexual?

I don't put gender as a factor when I like someone.

basically It takes bisexual one step further ("bi" meaning 2 or "pan" meaning all)

so a bisexual person likes males or females, I being pansexual don't limit myself to just 2 I open myself up to all genders Male, Female, Cisgender, Transmen/woman,  Androgynous people etc.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:10 AM

what are those cyc, gen come on where did these words come from and what are they please?  I am lost. 

Quoting bohomum:

basically It takes bisexual one step further ("bi" meaning 2 or "pan" meaning all)

so a bisexual person likes males or females, I being pansexual don't limit myself to just 2 I open myself up to all genders Male, Female, Cisgender, Transmen/woman,  Androgynous people etc.

bohomum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:54 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

what are those cyc, gen come on where did these words come from and what are they please?  I am lost. 

Quoting bohomum:

Cisgender "individuals who have a match between the gender they were assigned at birth, their bodies, and their personal identity"

Transgender is the state of one's gender identity that does not matching ones assigned sex.

Androgynous is a person who doesn't identify as either male or female.

liquidtinkerbel
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM
I feel sorry for his parents and loved ones he left behind.
bohomum
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I wish i could feel bad for his parents. but they were mentally abusive. They refused to get her the help she needed. no transgender ( or anyone for that matter) should be shoved in a "box" and forced to conform to what there parents think is right, her parents were die hard Christians and wanted there "son" to be the same, well she had other plans.,

Dardenella
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:04 PM

I do not even know what pansexual is.

I do know that most hotlines are funded by donations and volunteers.

That is your answer.  It is not someone else should... It is YOU should.

Suicide prevention should not be about what sexual you are, that is rediculous.

A person who takes their own life is selfish.  They do not think any farther than their own hurt or hardship.  They do not acre whome the hurt with their actions.  Yes there should be more suicide preventions and yes for goodness sake stop falshing it all over every media.

I no longer moren for the suicide.  I more for those left to clean up after them.

Zazayam
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:15 PM

I disagree with most of this.

"They" share suicide stories so that people understand how serious it is. People are DYING over this. You can share all the warm fuzzies you want, and that is great, but tell someone their kid could end up dead over someone else's stupidity and it's going to leave a bigger impression. That person made their choice and there is nothing to be done about it now, aside from hopefully letting someone somewhere learn from it.

You don't need your own LGBT suicide line. The world needs better suicide lines, for everyone. You want to be a completely 100% accepted part of society, you get fully integrated. That means WE ALL need better support systems for people that are considering suicide. You absolutely can not say that everything needs to be equal, but we need special treatment. It will never work.

mona165
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 8:54 PM
Okay I get it, now what's Cigender? And androgynous? Sorry, I'm just into learning about all this, my brother was abused when he was 6-8 he is now 13, and I'm wondering if he isn't straight, I know not ALL boys that were sexually abused turn out gay, but I want to be okay and learn about all this. I was the one who witnessed and stopped the abuse, so I'm the only one in my whole family who even knows or thinks he might be... I don't know though... but I think I'm better off talking to a gay man who was sexually abused... some people say they turned gay afterwards, some say they were born gay... so I don't know..

Quoting bohomum:

so
a bisexual person likes males or females, I being pansexual don't limit
myself to just 2 I open myself up to all genders Male, Female,
Cisgender, Transmen/woman,  Androgynous people etc.

gogohas2babies
by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 11:43 PM
I never read anywhere that they were mentally abusive. I thought the parents felt strongly that what he was born as was a gift from God......did I miss something?

Quoting bohomum:

I wish i could feel bad for his parents. but they were mentally abusive. They refused to get her the help she needed. no transgender ( or anyone for that matter) should be shoved in a "box" and forced to conform to what there parents think is right, her parents were die hard Christians and wanted there "son" to be the same, well she had other plans.,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)