Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's time to END DISCRIMINATION against the Long Term Unemployed FFS Thoughts Please! ETA with article links

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

So I've been out of work for over a year and 7 months now which equals out to exactly 19 months of being unemployed. My Unemployed status has literally caused me to slip into a worse depression than I'm dealing with already. What I mean by that is, I have Clinical persistent Depression as it is but ever since I got let go from the last job I held over a year and a half ago my Depression has been the worse it has ever been. I have anxiety on a daily basis, I've lost all motivation and desire in life and life in general. I feel like a loser and a failure and my biggest fear right now is that I will never work again.

The things that I think are holding me back are my employment history and gaps in my employment history. The thing is when it comes to the "gaps" in my employment history, that is "NOT" entirely my fault. It's not my fault that employers wont give me a lick of a chance to prove myself. I've been applying for months and although I've had maybe a few Interviews they never went that far.

As far as my employment history goes, the reason for my leaving the last few jobs haven't been to favorable and were terminations, but........ Only one of those terminations was warranted that I deserved what I got because one of the jobs I held I hated so bad that I ended up running my mouth one day on a bad day and yea it costed me that job. That was back in 2008 though. The other two jobs were jobs that I enjoyed working at because I was working in a area and place I enjoyed. Plus I was working around Airplanes and I enjoy and Love Airplanes a lot. Unfortunately two jobs I held at the Airport I got terminated from and those two separate jobs were NOT my fault. At those two Airport jobs I'm talking about, I was constantly subjected to daily harassment, bullying, put downs, and overall mistreatment from the supervisor and a few co workers that I had to deal with on a daily basis. The last job I held(which was at the Airport), I was let go from at the end of my probationary period. That job was held from April 2013 to July 2013. Anyway, I was wrongfully terminated at the end of my probationary period and never given a real and full explanation to why I was being let go. I know I didn't fit in well at that job and it backfired on me in the end. I remember filing complaints with the HR department. Boy was that a big mistake. I think part of the reason I was let go at my last job was because It was retaliation over me complaining about the harassment and bullying I was receiving on a daily basis but I could never prove that. The weird part is my very first Airport job I ever held I wasn't let go from I ended up quitting that one. That job I held from 2004-2006 and resigned from that one due to personal family issues that I had to take care of and are NO longer a issue anymore.

Trust me ladies, I want to work, I want to feel like I'm contributing to society. I'm grateful right now that I qualify and that I do receive fs, and free medical through Badgercare plus but still I'm NOT proud of it and feel ashamed and again I want to be a contributing member in society. I also receive disability for a disability I have but that doesn't go far and I need a part time job to supplement that.

Sorry for the length ladies. I don't know how else to describe my dilemma.

1) Do you think some employers bad attitudes of "refusing" to hire the Long Term unemployed is the NEW employment Discrimination these days? (I sure think so, but that's just my opinion)

NOTE********* Lady in this image is NOT me lol

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Skylar_White
by Member on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:38 PM

aww im sorry to hear all this... I havent had a job since 2012, i quit working because i had a baby... now that s/o are living seperatly, i am looking for work and havent found a thing... :/ i dont want to work at a gas station or fast food, but it seems thats my only choice

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Awwww Momma, I'm sorry that you've been dealing with the same struggle in finding work. I'm telling ya girl that I swear the new "employment discrimination" these days is the refusal to hire the long term unemployed. It sucks big time and just seems so wrong on all levels. I mean what are these employers thinking ya know?

And in your situation, you have been staying home taking care of your child, so it's not like you weren't doing anything at all, that is terrible how they(employers) are treating you as well. I'm a sahm right now as well and that's obviously what I've been doing with my time. I mean Employers treat people like you and me like we are criminals or something. It's messed up it really is.

I totally understand and get you when you say that you don't want to work in fast food or a gas station for that matter, because I sure wouldn't want to do that kind of work either but ya know a job is a job, money is money. Gas stations though, I refuse to work at or even think of doing because that seems to dangerous especially if the place should get robbed aka held up.

Hugs to you and I hope you can find something soon in the near future.

Quoting Skylar_White:

aww im sorry to hear all this... I havent had a job since 2012, i quit working because i had a baby... now that s/o are living seperatly, i am looking for work and havent found a thing... :/ i dont want to work at a gas station or fast food, but it seems thats my only choice

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 14, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I want to add that, this is NOT something I wish on anybody ever! Everybody in life deserves a chance to prove themelves and their abilities. Being LONG TERM UNEMPLOYED should NOT be a bar to finding new employment.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 14, 2015 at 11:29 PM

I'm surprise you weren't able to get a seasonal job here just a few months ago.  Were you trying to get a job then?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:03 AM
It sounds more like you aren't being hired due to why you have been let go from previous jobs not that you are being discriminated against for being unemployed for so long.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:08 AM

I admit that I didn't apply for any of the seasonal jobs because I am looking more for permanent work. You made a good thought though when you mentioned that your surprised I wasn't able to get a seasonal job. That again was my fault and I should've applied for seasonal jobs. As far as your question that you asked about if I was trying to get a job then? Yes, I absolutely was trying to get a job back then. I mean, there are times where I get so depressed and feel like giving up on my search when I'm not getting anywhere and should push myself daily to apply for more positions but yes I guarantee you I'm definetly looking for work even back then, :)

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I'm surprise you weren't able to get a seasonal job here just a few months ago.  Were you trying to get a job then?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:19 AM

I'm definetly not going to argue with you on our thought when you say that I'm probably "not" getting hired due to being let go from previous jobs because I agree with you that I'm sure that issue has played a role in myself having trouble getting interviews let alone landing a job. However, I do believe that the other reason is because I've been long term unemployed. There has actually been articles on the Internet regarding discrimination against the Long Term unemployed and I believe that indeed that kind of discrimination is happening and that I very much have been a victim of it.

The thing is, I realize that being let go from more than one job certainly doesn't look good on job applications, but I guess the question is, should I be burned and banned the rest of my life from gaining meaningful employment because of that? No I shouldn't, atleast I don't think I should. Like I admitted, the one out of three jobs I was let go from well I deserved that termination but the other two jobs I was victimized day after day with bullying, put downs, harassment you name it and what sucks is the fact that it was always my word against those two other employers.

The other question I have is, how do I handle explaining my terminations during Interviews and what should I put on job applications to help me get a job that doesn't look so bad? Luckily I have a job coach/consultant helping me with this issue to but until I see that I'm getting the guidance I need from my job coach I feel absolutely lost and alone in this situation.

I'm woman enough to admit to my mistakes, however there are always two sides to a story right? I know in my heart and soul that I am NOT a lost cause although I feel like that on almost a daily basis and it sucks, I mean it really sucks. I've literally have sunk into a deeper depression and it's not getting better emotionally wise. 

Quoting Anonymous 3: It sounds more like you aren't being hired due to why you have been let go from previous jobs not that you are being discriminated against for being unemployed for so long.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:24 AM

I just wanted to share a few links on articles I found about Discrimination against the Long Term Unemployed for those of you that read this that may NOT believe that such Discrimination actually exist. I'm not trying to be a B*tch or a ass by sharing this but I'm just trying to put it out there that this is a real issue that must be stopped.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/discrimination-against-the-unemployed/

http://jobs.aol.com/articles/2013/08/01/discrimination-against-unemployed/

LeilaBeansMom
by Member on Jan. 15, 2015 at 12:27 AM
I worked at a gas station for 5 years. It was one of my favorite jobs! If you love people, you should give it a chance. :) Good luck.

Quoting Skylar_White:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jan. 17, 2015 at 11:30 PM

BUMP!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)