Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's cutting off the child support 3 months early!!!! Should I care?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM
  • 24 Replies
Our son turns 18 March 1st, but does not graduate from HS until June. He said he's stopping the 1,000 per month child support March 1st. Do I take him to small claims court if he does this? Or do I sing...."Let it go!"?
by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momsalawyer
by Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:30 PM
4 moms liked this

In most states the District Attorney's office has free help collecting child support.  This is not your money, it belongs to your child so unless your child can afford to "toss" $3,000 I would get on the phone and get the ex in front of a judge.

KamWorthy
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:35 PM
The law in my state says he has to pay until the child graduates HS or turns 19, whichever comes first. However, wont I have to wait until he actually stops paying? No, my son cant go without that money. He's not able to work yet and doesnt even drive yet. He has health issues. Ex has never paid medical either, even though the court order states he has to.

Quoting Momsalawyer:

In most states the District Attorney's office has free help collecting child support.  This is not your money, it belongs to your child so unless your child can afford to "toss" $3,000 I would get on the phone and get the ex in front of a judge.

cheetah90210
by Silver Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:39 PM
Only you know your situation he he needs it ok sure if not let it go.
bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM

How can he stop it? Do you guys have a court order?

WickedOpal
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
File for contempt of court for the insurance, you may be due money for that, in some places. I would add that he has told ypu that he verbalized that he intend to stop paying CS on DS's 18th birthday at that time.
KamWorthy
by New Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 9:28 PM
Yes, its court ordered but he sends the check to me directly.

Quoting bresmommy21:

bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting KamWorthy: Yes, its court ordered but he sends the check to me directly.
Quoting bresmommy21:

All you would have to do is notify the court that he has stopped payment and they will put him in arrearage. The court decides when the order stops and its usually on the childs 18th birthday unless they are still in school and you would get a letter that needs to be filled out by the childs school if that was the case. My daughter turned 18 in September I know all about it.

Nicole_2007
by Member on Jan. 21, 2015 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this
I would take it to court tell them what he said and tell them that he doesn't help with medical bills. He may have to pay you back for all you have paid for medical
mamatink7
by on Jan. 21, 2015 at 8:22 PM
1 mom liked this

thats alot of money per month!! 

3xangel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2015 at 7:51 AM
This

Quoting Nicole_2007: I would take it to court tell them what he said and tell them that he doesn't help with medical bills. He may have to pay you back for all you have paid for medical
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)