Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Income tax

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM
  • 4 Replies

Hi everyone,

Just a random rant & curious if anyone could possibly have answers for me..

I split up with my daughters father when she was three months old, she is now five. We have had a court agreement for the last four years that I have physical custody and he has visitation with her every Tuesday and Wednesday from after school until 7:30, she also does spend every other weekend with him overnight. We also rotate holidays as well as birthdays.

The first year my daughter was born, her father claimed her on his taxes. I was unaware of this until I claimed her and then was unable too. With the money he received from claiming her he bought a new motorcycle.

Since then I have claimed her on my taxes. I have opened a savings account in my name and my daughters name, the money I receive from claiming her goes into a savings account as it is a college fund for her. By the time my daughter graduates college I am sure tuition with be astronomical.

Her father also has two other children. A daughter who is over a year old now that he has signed his rights off too. And a brand new son who was just born last month. He does pay child support to me, it is suppose to be 523.00 monthly but I will be lucky enough to receive half of that a month. He also pays for his other daughter but I am unaware of the amount.

He has now asked me to claim our daughter this year and I said no. I am not money hungry by any means. I just do not feel that it is fair to take the money claimed from our daughter so he can pay for his other two children. He has now threatened me to take me to court for this. Nothing in our court agreement has something written about income tax returns.

Just curious, is there a law for this?

shrugging

by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
rockymtngirl
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Ask him when the court date is and you will be there with bells on. He can't do shit. You have physical custody.
Jenna13Wilson
by New Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:30 PM

I meant when my daughter graduates high school but I'm sure you knew what I meant! And thanks for the laugh, the coming into the courts with bells on just made my night!

Reese2010727
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:38 PM
2 moms liked this
Legally, he can't file her in his taxes. The child has to live with the parent filing for at least 6 months out of the year and you said he just has visitation. Go to court prepared and you'll be fine plus it sounds like you're the financially responsible one.
reynab27
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 5:55 PM
Calm down legally your the one who should have taken him to court yrs ago since you have her basically full time...he doesn't so go file your taxes sit back and don't worry he will look dumb in court
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)