Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

School Makes Kids Pay to Use the Bathroom

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM
  • 10 Replies

School Makes Kids Pay to Use the Bathroom

kid raising hand in class

When you're a kid, if you've gotta go, you've gotta go ... which is why an elementary school in Australia is getting flack for punishing students who use the bathroom too much.

Bellbridge Primary School has begun "fining" (via fake currency) students who take bathroom breaks outside of lunchtime and recess. This rule was designed to teach the kids the value of money ... only since when does anyone, adult, child or otherwise, have to pay to pee?

Parents of kids who attend Bellbridge are understandably upset by this new rule -- and if my kids went there I would be, too. Because this school is essentially punishing kids for doing something that's just, well, part of life! Can you imagine punishing your kids for having to blow their nose or do anything else we all just have to do when the need arises?

By stigmatizing "natural" behaviors like bathroom breaks, this school is setting up their students not only for embarrassing accidents, but for hangups about their bodies down the line. Because let's face it: needing to pee is just a natural fact of life. So let's treat it that way, okay?

What do you think of this "no bathroom breaks' rule?

by on Mar. 4, 2015 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:47 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't see it as a punishment at all.  It is simply teaching them about money and it isn't even real money.  I don't see the issue.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM
I'd be livid. I have a daughter with a mild case of spinabifida occulta. Three of her vertebrae are missing the spiny process. It really isn't anything BUT she does have to relieve herself every 60-90 minutes because of it.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:19 PM

I'd be the first parent raising hell with the teachers and principal over this rule. 

angl_gurl1
by on Mar. 6, 2015 at 5:06 PM

i dont agree with it

chanizen
by on Mar. 6, 2015 at 8:42 PM
Urinetown the musical becomes reality....
zoo003
by Member on Mar. 6, 2015 at 8:44 PM

Ridiculous.  I wouldn't be happy with this at all.   

katieculpepper
by New Member on Mar. 7, 2015 at 5:24 AM
It wouldn't bother me. I tell my kids to take care of business during recess or lunch. It is a disturbance to the whole class when kids are in and out during lessons. If my kid had an emergency or a medical condition I would make sure that was understood... but this just takes care of the frequent flyers who will do anything to get out of class
squeekers
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2015 at 5:32 AM
DD had the same grief all thru school too. There were girls who would simply stand up & walk out during high school classes to go use the bathroom. One male sub tried to stop her. She said "unless you want blood on the floor, i am going to the bathroom." And off she went.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2015 at 5:21 PM

In elementary school, we were given cards with 10 punches per month. Every time you went to the bathroom outside of lunch or recess, you had to punch your card. If you used all 10 before the end of the month, you couldn't go anymore during class. It was humiliating to have to use the cards and made me feel bad every time.

DisabledVet
by on Mar. 11, 2015 at 5:54 PM

It's stupid and dangerious. Holding in urine can cause a host of problems. Some kids suffer from a small bladder. I did and still do. I say that I have a 1/2 hour bladder in a 2 hour world.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)