Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She won't let us sleep together!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 65 Replies
1 mom liked this

My partner and I have been together for 10 years and we have 2 children together. We're going to visit his mother in North Carolina Next week so she can spend time with the kids since we live so far away. Anyways, my partner and I are not married...We decided long ago that marriage just isn't something we find necessary and I guess you could say we're "nontraditional" but we however are in a committed relationship. We're supposed to be staying with her but she failed to mention until now that "as long as you're in my house you wont be sleeping in the same bed" (She's very religious). I mean I get it, I really do. I respect the fact that it's her house and her religion but I just feel slightly disrespected not only because of the hateful tone she had when she said that but because it also kind of seems like she thinks our relationship isn't as valuable since we lack legal documentation?? I don't know maybe i'm overreacting. We were going to get a hotel after she let us in on that but now she's mad because we mentioned getting a hotel.....UGHHHHHHHHH

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 4, 2015 at 3:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:00 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:05 PM

BUMP!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:07 PM
4 moms liked this
Well you know she's very religious and it is her house. Did you not see that coming?? And I'm sure she doesn't give your relationship the same value she does to a marriage. It's simply whay she believes.
AngelLovingLife
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:10 PM
3 moms liked this
She is an idiot. If she can't respect your relationship, I honestly wouldn't allow her around your kids. Who knows what crap she'll tell them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigressarah
by New Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:13 PM
4 moms liked this
My mother is the same way. We usually just get a hotel. I just let her know I want to respect her and her view on things, so instead of fussing about it, we would prefer to have our own space.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd cancel the visit.  But I'm a bitch like that.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 4, 2015 at 4:53 PM
3 moms liked this

So get a hotel anyway.  you can tell her that you want to respect her wishes, which is why you're getting a hotel. if she's mad, she's mad-- I mean, if this is the first time in 10 years you're going to visit, it's not like it's a close relationship---and if it's not, then you should have known how she felt already and planned on a hotel from the get go.  

SilverSally
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:18 PM
I wouldn't go, personally. Neither would my DD be going. DH could go on his own if he wanted to see her.

I'm not big on marriage but my DH was, so we got married. But I would still expect the same respect in a committed relationship with kids involved (and obviously a bit of time lapsed) regardless.

To me, if the relationship is indeed one where you are devoted to each other and will work on problems etc whatever you have to do to stay together when things get rough, then it is just a piece of paper to be married.
xoch86
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would get a hotel.. 

I would also kinda rethink the trip, because her tone isn't one that's setting for a good time.. But that's up to you.

defintiely get a hotel though..

TranquilMind
by Member on Mar. 4, 2015 at 11:25 PM
7 moms liked this
Ten years and two kids and you aren't married?

Why not? I hope you have prepared wills, and documents creating Power-of attorney, both health care and General, to each other, in case of necessity.

Otherwise, you have no legal protections.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)