Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you think strollers deserve the same rights as wheelchairs?

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mom Wants Stroller-Users to Get Special Privileges in Public

stroller on subway

So I've heard that a mom named Michelle Parker in Chicago has started a petition to get strollers treated like wheelchairs on public transit. Which sounds ludicrous, right? People in wheelchairs are disabled; moms with strollers are not. Yet at the risk of ruffling all those stroller haters out there, I've gotta say I'm fully behind this petition with all my Maclaren-pushing might.

Here's why: Currently, in Chicago where this petition originated, moms with strollers are treated like second-class citizens. For instance, Parker was inspired to start this petition after a bus driver demanded she fold up her stroller once she'd boarded the bus. Which sounds fine, at least in theory. Strollers are space hogs. But the reality is quite different.

Think about it: if you're a mom who's boarding a bus with a baby, it's dang hard to take your baby out, hold him, fold up your stroller, then hold your stroller and your baby and your diaper bag and everything else you need to carry (add a bag of groceries to that mix and we are in serious trouble).

This insane juggling act is even worse if you've got an infant, since they can't use a small, collapsible umbrella stroller until around four to six months. So you're stuck with one of those honking big ones. Unless you're husband's on the bus with you or a friendly stranger pitches in, there's no way you'll collapse that stroller on your own. And then, where do you put it? By now, of course, the bus is already lurching ahead, since unless how patiently he waits for someone in a wheelchair to get all nice and situated, he couldn't care less about you as you try to steady yourself, your stroller, your belongings, and hang onto your bobble-headed baby for dear life.

So in a way, I think moms with strollers ARE kinda disabled. And as such, I think they have a right to that spacious priority seating up front on the bus, where they can avoid this whole challenge of trying to fold up their stroller at all. Sure, I think the truly disabled and the elderly should get those seats first, but moms should have dibs on them if they're free.

There's so much stroller hatred out there, but you know what I say to them? Try carrying around an infant and everything else an infant needs in a stroller for a week and see how you manage -- squeezing through doors, getting up and down stairs, and yes, on the bus -- then come talk to me. This is a Rosa Parks-style moment for stroller pushers, and it's time to refuse to get pushed to the back of the bus!

Do you think strollers deserve the same rights as wheelchairs?

by on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justme570
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM
1 mom liked this

so i both agree and disagree. i don't like the way the title puts it as far as THE SAME RIGHTS, but i do think that it is common courtesy to help a single mom (wether single or married i just mean alone at that time). However i rode the bus while my son was a baby, i saw the looks i would get for "holding up" the bus while i tried to fold up my stroller while carrying my son and diaper bag etc. So Yes, if the first seats are not being used for wheelchairs they shoudl secondly go to mothers with strollers and/or the elderly

waynebrianna
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:26 PM
Quoting justme570:

so i both agree and disagree. i don't like the way the title puts it as far as THE SAME RIGHTS, but i do think that it is common courtesy to help a single mom (wether single or married i just mean alone at that time). However i rode the bus while my son was a baby, i saw the looks i would get for "holding up" the bus while i tried to fold up my stroller while carrying my son and diaper bag etc. So Yes, if the first seats are not being used for wheelchairs they shoudl secondly go to mothers with strollers and/or the elderly

momto1girl2007
by Member on Mar. 15, 2015 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
No I don't. It's a woman's choice to have a child,not for a person to be in a wheelchair. I remember getting dirty looks with dd in the clunky big stroller. Lucky me had a car so I didn't have to deal with public transit. I get that strollers take up space and though they can be hard to maneuver, I don't think women or men should feel entitled just because they have a baby.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 16, 2015 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

No. Unless it's a parent of multiples. Strollers are not necessities (I never used one). I carried my child in a front carrier as an infant and later in a backpack carrier; my SIL did the same thing. As soon as our kids were able to walk we let them as much as possible using the backpack carriers only when necessary and ditching the carriers completely by the time they were around 2.

Special privileges for "stroller moms" will just encourage laziness and keeping kids in strollers longer than there's any real need for. 

remaining_me
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:00 AM
This is awesome and honestly it's quite sad it hasn't been done already. It just seems like the sensible thing to do if the seats are available, all points why mentioned in the original post.
AngelLovingLife
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
No. A wheel chair is MUST. A stroller isn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
remaining_me
by New Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:03 AM
I'm guessing you're not from NYC. I used a carrier more often than not, but sometimes in the city a stroller is a lot more practical.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

No. Unless it's a parent of multiples. Strollers are not necessities (I never used one). I carried my child in a front carrier as an infant and later in a backpack carrier; my SIL did the same thing. As soon as our kids were able to walk we let them as much as possible using the backpack carriers only when necessary and ditching the carriers completely by the time they were around 2.

Special privileges for "stroller moms" will just encourage laziness and keeping kids in strollers longer than there's any real need for. 

JulietAngel89
by Member on Mar. 17, 2015 at 2:45 AM

People get annoyed at people for having prams? wow.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 17, 2015 at 9:47 AM
1 mom liked this
This is definitely not a Rosa Parks moment. Not even close. To even say that is extremely disrespectful.
angl_gurl1
by on Mar. 17, 2015 at 12:01 PM

they should get some rights but not the same as the wheelchairs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)