Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman's Facebook Post Lands Her In Jail

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM
  • 8 Replies

Woman's Facebook Post Lands Her In Jail

Twenty-six-year-old Kristin Holmes of Chesterfield, Virginia, got into an argument on Facebook. It happens. With all the things our Facebook "friends" post, it's more challenging to stay out of a debate than be in one. But this Facebook argument had Holmes responding in four-letter words and with a threatening photo, which landed her in jail.

And you thought having your photo reported and removed from Facebook was bad!? Holmes learned quickly that "Facebook thugging" is a crime. Oh yes. Big trouble. Not only did Holmes get into an argument with some Facebookers who confused her with someone else, but she went as far as to threaten these commenters and included a photo of herself holding a gun with the quote: "Ill [sic] post a few actual pics of me so you know the difference when u 'come find me.'"

NBC12 - WWBT - Richmond, VA News On Your Side

Someone skipped reporting her to Zuckerberg and went straight to the cops. Holmes was charged with harassment by computer, a misdemeanor, and sent to Henrico County Jail.

I know many people who would have been sent to jail for harassing others on Facebook, though I have never seen a photo of the harasser with a gun. Perhaps this is what did Holmes in. She even admits that the photo was a bit intimidating. "What happened to freedom of speech?" Holmes wondered to NBC12. "And it was just a picture. It wasn't a threat. I thought it was a funny picture, and then I realized later that it was a little bit intimidating, so I took it down." But it was too late because what was once on the internet lives forever somewhere and the cops saw the photo and in the slammer she went.

This isn't exactly a joking matter since Holmes's crime could get her up to a year in jail plus a $2,500 fine. She's fighting the charges, but this time without any threats or obscenities.

What do you think should happen? Should people be arrested after threatening others on social media?

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
TheAnonymousOne
by New Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 12:36 PM
3 moms liked this

I think people should just grow up and stop using social media as a means to bully others. It's ridiculous that at 26 years old she's still engaging in these petty games that teenagers engage in.

LyTe684
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM
Lol. She deserves it. Who fucking really posts shit like that online? Dumbass.
KaylaBug89
by Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:39 PM
That's stupid. Sounds like someone was upset that they couldn't get her to back down. It's not like she said she would shoot them. And if like to see the comments the other people were posting. I'd put money down the keyboard waits were responding with just as many for letter words.
quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Apr. 5, 2015 at 1:48 PM
I'm curious to see what comments she was responding to. The pic was so the people knew her when they came to find her. So what were the other comments that made her think someone was coming to find her? Not saying what she did was right or appropriate but sounds like she wasn't the only one out of line.

Yes I think if you threaten bodily harm or harass someone on social media it should be a crime.
wannabehappy766
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 11:27 PM
People use social media for so many stupid things. I use it for the purpose of keeping in contact with people and maybe finding people,but that's it. I see so many people put all their business on FB and other social media it just ridiculous
Eve559
by on Apr. 6, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Quoting TheAnonymousOne:

I think people should just grow up and stop using social media as a means to bully others. It's ridiculous that at 26 years old she's still engaging in these petty games that teenagers engage in.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 7:58 AM

People are becoming more liable for what they do online.  Even the police and courts are accepting Facebook printouts and other online captures as evidence.

angl_gurl1
by on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:49 AM

people need to grow up and stop acting like they are in highschool

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)