Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My daughter is doing great in school

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM
  • 11 Replies

I removed my daughter from public school and placed her in a private school some months back. It makes a diffrence when I am paying for my child's education. She wants to be a mortician. The public school staff started asking my daughter is she had dark thoughts after she mentined becoming a mortician. In other words they had no idea how to help her and had their own opinions.

In my family, and it's no joke, one either goes into the medical field or becomes a chef. My daughter has an interest in both. My mother is retired, but was an RN. My dad a chef.

I am so proud of my daughter. She is taking courses that are beyond what I took in high school and she last week she earned an A on her science exam. She explains to me how the heart works and functions in order to explain how something is done. I took medical terminology and I earned an A myself, but she is going beyond that. She reads my old medical terminology text book for fun.

I just work, take my course online, and do housework. The only thing I have to do for my daughter is listen. Her dad always asks what grade she earned. He is so excited about her grades. She does tell us she is trying to choose between becoming a mortician or a chef. I am proud of my daughter either way. She is a Junior this year, but will be graduating before her senior year.

I am the first in my family to not have anything to do with the clinical side of the medical office. It wasn't fun growing up in a family of nurses knowing I dislike blood. After I saw a relative stuck with an IV and her veins weren't easy to find I didn't want to deal with hurting someone.

My daughter is the first to go into the mortician side of things if she chooses. She is great at cooking and timing her foods in the oven or on the stove. It annoys my friend that she can cook a steak to rear, medium, or well done without cutting it open to check. I have no problem with saying my daughter is a better cook than I am. I am good, but she has a natural interest.

So in the end putting my daughter in private school has worked for her. I am so glad I took this step. She is able to work ahead and the teachers have time to explain to her when she doesn't understand something right away. She used to tell me she felt stupid. I explained that some public school teachers don't know certain things so they get fustrated since they  most often can only guide students in the direction of farmer, engineer, or something more common as we live in the country. They just point their studnets in the direction of a local college.

by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KsAangel25
by Argentina on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:33 PM
Reading your post is the reason why I am now homeschooling my kids. I have two daughters who are very advanced and one daughter who struggles. The school district refuses to consider advancing my two daughter to the next grade and will never consider holding my other daughter back. They don't want to hurt her feelings. I guess they are ok with a child graduating unable to read or write. Since I've been homeschooling her, her progress is phenomenal. I am happy beyond words. Although I am confused that they had her in special classes for so many years and she made so little progress.
idella77
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 4:59 PM

I did consider homeschooling, but to be honest I was getting stressed reading about which cirriculums are best. I also have no time with work and my course. I am taking a course as it's time and I aso have to retake both my CPR and first aid classes soon.

My daughter has the option of going into school or working from home each day. She gets up at 8 AM now instead of 6:45 AM, she gets her cup of choclate milk or decaf coffee and starts school at 9 AM. She has her own schedule unless she goes to class. I love when she is home so I know how she's doing.

Her dad helps her with history and I help her with English. I was great at Essays in college and my essays were used as examples to the class. My instructor liked my point of view on corporal punishment so she kept that essay to use as an example.

I wish my mom would have homeschooled me. I was someone who got bullied for being a little over weight in elemenatary and middle school. I became taller, slimmed down, and developed in high school. I always remembered my earlier years. I don't know how the laws were in the eighties. My mom was a good teacher and I always wanted to be home with her. I had a great time when I came down with chicken pox and stayed home from school with my mom in fourth grade.

Quoting KsAangel25: Reading your post is the reason why I am now homeschooling my kids. I have two daughters who are very advanced and one daughter who struggles. The school district refuses to consider advancing my two daughter to the next grade and will never consider holding my other daughter back. They don't want to hurt her feelings. I guess they are ok with a child graduating unable to read or write. Since I've been homeschooling her, her progress is phenomenal. I am happy beyond words. Although I am confused that they had her in special classes for so many years and she made so little progress.

ShaMac
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:02 PM
A school that is a good fit makes so much difference. My dd switched schools this year. It is amazing. She is so much less stressed. It is almost enough to make me cry happy tears.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:10 PM
Yep, I know the feeling. I saw my dd's paper on the Loch Ness Monster. I could actually READ her paper, I couldn't stop pointing out everything that was super, great, amazing, wonderful about the paper. I asked her if I could take it to work and show a few friends. She just swelled with so much pride. Just typing this down brings tears to my eyes. :)
idella77
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:24 PM

I understand the feeling.

The lockness monster is a cool subject. I love mysterious subject like that.

idella77
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I noticed my daughter is happier and she has told me how she feels different in a good way. She has been talking to me about school instead of avoiding the subject. I even hear her tell me things about the Earth's Time Scale. It's great to hear her so intersted in school.

Quoting ShaMac: A school that is a good fit makes so much difference. My dd switched schools this year. It is amazing. She is so much less stressed. It is almost enough to make me cry happy tears.

ShaMac
by on Apr. 5, 2015 at 5:34 PM
It's like a huge weight off mom's chest too when they enjoy it. My dd is only 12 but there are no more tears and pretending to be sick days. My dd has missed one day this year and it was for a legitimate illness.

Quoting idella77:

I noticed my daughter is happier and she has told me how she feels different in a good way. She has been talking to me about school instead of avoiding the subject. I even hear her tell me things about the Earth's Time Scale. It's great to hear her so intersted in school.

Quoting ShaMac: A school that is a good fit makes so much difference. My dd switched schools this year. It is amazing. She is so much less stressed. It is almost enough to make me cry happy tears.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Private schools are the way to go for sure.  Homeschooling is good, but it takes special parents with special parenting skills to do it.  I admire homeschooling moms 100%.

Where I live there are public, Catholic and private schools.  Our girls are in grades 2 and 4 in a Catholic school.  So far we are happy with the education, but again, not near as good as private.  We live in a nice neighbourhood where I think the school here is better funded than in lesser economic areas.

ihave1
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:24 PM

I think she would love culinary school! It is a lot of fun, I am in now.

I would  maybe talk w/  her about going to culinary school after she is done w/ high school Maybe that will help her make up her mind. 

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Has she considered being a corner instead?  A coroner determines cause of death rather than just prepare a body for burial.  It sounds like she could do very well in medical school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)