Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

STINK BUGS, again

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 3 Replies

From my local newspaper, 

Winston Salem Journal

Ask SAM: These stink bugs come from eastern Asia

Q: The stink bugs are back! As much as my cats seem enjoy playing with them, I want to get rid of them. What can I do?

M.G.

Answer: Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can do about them. But on the bright side, the bugs you are seeing now are doing their darnedest to get out of your house in the first place.

Stink bugs “that moved indoors last fall are now trying to head to the great outdoors but some only succeed in moving into the ‘great indoors’ (meaning the occupied areas of your house),” Mike Waldvogel, an entomologist at N.C. State University, said in an email response to SAM. “So, there isn't any way to spray effectively indoors because where you see them doesn't necessarily mean that’s where they came from and spraying outdoors will do nothing to those that are outside, although it might kill aggregations or clusters of them on your house or nearby plants.”

For stink bugs that are indoors, you can try to vacuum them up. If you have a vacuum with a tube attachment, take some steps to avoid getting the bugs into the vacuum cleaner and stinking it up. Waldvogel recommends getting a knee-high stocking and sticking it down the tube. Keep the knee high in place with a rubber band. That way, you can vacuum up the bugs and dispose a little more easily — and with less odor.

We don’t know yet how bad the stink bug problem will be this year in our area.

“It's really impossible to say if they'll be more or less prominent because we really have no way of realistically determining what percentage of those that made it into our homes or other protected areas (like under tree bark) managed to survive the winter,” according to Waldvogel. “Plus, we don't fully know what role some of the wasp parasites may be having on populations. Some of the mid-Atlantic orchards noted a decrease in stink bug damage in 2014 but that doesn't mean that populations are crashing. Nature takes a longer time to catch up with pests like this.”

During the spring and summer, you can take steps to prevent the bugs from getting back into your house by sealing any cracks around doors, windows and siding, and repairing any damaged screens on doors or windows.

Asian lady beetles, which SAM gets questions about nearly as much as stink bugs, may actually be friends in this case, Waldvogel said, “because they have been found eating the stink bugs' egg masses. But, in the bigger picture of the urban environments (houses, not orchards) it's just too difficult to figure what may or may not happen as the bugs' thoughts turn to spring and feeding anew on their favorite plants.”

If people find stink bugs on plants in their yards, “they can certainly treat them but I would strongly recommend that they use products appropriate for those plants and be careful not to accidentally damage the plants or, in the case of fruit-bearing trees, treat them with some chemical that makes the fruit inedible.

He suggested contacting your county’s Cooperative Extension office for advice on proper pesticide use. In Forsyth County, you can get contact information at forsyth.ces.ncsu.edu/people/.

You can also find more information about the “biology, ecology and management of brown marmorated stink bug” at the website www.stopbmsb.org. Another source for information is ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 10, 2015 at 1:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
happyolechimp
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:47 PM
I know...we're in NC...last fall we used been neem oil...almost poisoned my dog...even tho label says "safe"...NOT.
we sprayed screens..outside walls..
we left for Florida in our camper shortly after..those #### bugs were traveling too..& traveled back this March.
There's an outdoor bait trap I need ..for nymphs & adults...NOW..GEEZ
squeekers
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2015 at 2:49 PM
No stink bugs here in San Diego, Ca.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 10, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Don't relax, they're a comin' !

Quoting squeekers: No stink bugs here in San Diego, Ca.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)