Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gender party Vs Baby shower

Posted by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM
  • 9 Replies
What's the difference?
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Tonysgurl05
by on May. 17, 2015 at 8:39 PM
One is just announce the gender the other is a party for the baby and people bring gifts I like showers more and won't attened both for same person
3companytoo
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 2:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I think people should include the gender reveal at the baby shower. It just makes so much more sense to me. I can't see having two parties unless they are for two different sets of guests.

ZamilyMom
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2015 at 12:18 PM

The optional gender reveal party is a fun way to announce whether the baby will be a boy or a girl.  Gifts are not expected. A baby shower is to "shower mom and baby with gifts."  It would make sense for the gender reveal party to occur BEFORE the shower, as many guests prefer to tailor the gifts to the baby's gender. (And if the mom-to-be registers for pink baby blankets, mobile, comforter, etc. a gender reveal party after this would be unnecessary!)

MommyHuman
by Member on May. 18, 2015 at 7:22 PM

Gender reveal is a party where the couple reveals the gender to family and friends. There is usually a cake cutting that has a cream filling inside either pink or blue. Sometimes there are guess the gender type games. It's basically informal, an d usually no gifts. I personally think they are stupid and unnessary.

A shower is silimar to the gender reveal. It usually thrown by a friend or family member of the mom to be (it's tacky to host your own). There are usually games, refeshments, and cake. Gifts are madatory, hence why you don't host your own.

godsgirl26
by ♡Charmaine♡ on May. 18, 2015 at 9:57 PM
Got it thanks. I thought maybe it was kinda the same thing.
kitcal78
by Bronze Member on May. 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Still laughing at how we use any excuse to have party.  Gender revel party.  Uhh........sure.  I predict soon to come, "Birthing Parties". Lol just kidding.  (secretly serious) shrugging

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 19, 2015 at 12:27 PM

My SIL is pregnant and we are doing both the gender reveal and the baby shower.  One of our neighbors made a smart assed comment about having to have "two parties".  And that is not the case for us.  The gender reveal will be small and intimate.  No party plans.  I am the gender keeper, so I will buy an outift for mom and dad to open that will announce the gender of the baby.

Then we will let everyone else know and they will know what gender specific clothing to purchase for the shower.  I don't see the big deal everyone makes about having two parties, it isn't always a party. lol

bunzie79
by on May. 20, 2015 at 11:05 AM

This...and most woman find out the gender by 3 months where showers are more like a month or 2 before the baby arrives.

Quoting ZamilyMom:

The optional gender reveal party is a fun way to announce whether the baby will be a boy or a girl.  Gifts are not expected. A baby shower is to "shower mom and baby with gifts."  It would make sense for the gender reveal party to occur BEFORE the shower, as many guests prefer to tailor the gifts to the baby's gender. (And if the mom-to-be registers for pink baby blankets, mobile, comforter, etc. a gender reveal party after this would be unnecessary!)

Roo1234
by Member on May. 21, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Gender revel parties don't carry the expectation of a gift.  And in fact, gift giving is seen as a faux pas.  It is just supposed to be a celebration. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)