Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm in tears...

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM
  • 4 Replies

I was babysitting one of my little nieces "Chica" for my SIL. Her husband passed away not long after her youngest was born. The poor little 7 year old was born with a hearing defect and stutters, especially when she's excited. But she's the sweetest little girl and only fights when she's standing up for herself or her 4 year old brother. So when she came home today out of it, I figured someone had made fun of her... Again. After getting them a snack, I sat her down and asked her how her day at school had been. She looked at me and asked me, "What does 'aborted' mean?" My first reaction was to ask where she'd heard such a thing. She said one of her classmates was picking on her for her stutter and had told her "You should've been aborted!". I was stunned. I didn't quite know what else to do, so I answered her as honestly as I thought appropriate. I told her it meant a woman went to a doctor and the doctor would take the baby out of the mama too soon and the baby wouldn't live anymore. They'd had a pet fish that died recently, so she asked me if it was like when the fish 'wasn't living anymore'. I said yes, something like that. She started to cry and asked me if her mama wanted to do that to her, if she really should've been aborted. I broke down and hugged her as tight as I could and promised her that her mama loved her very VERY much, and so did I. As soon as her mother got home, I told her about our conversation and she wasn't sure she agreed with me telling her what it meant, but did agree that she would've found out sooner or later. What would you have done?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
NearSeattleMom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 4:35 PM

That's so sad!  It seems like you handled it well.  The only other thing you could have done is tell her to ask her mom.

Kids can be so mean!

Quoting YoungMama93:

I was babysitting one of my little nieces "Chica" for my SIL. Her husband passed away not long after her youngest was born. The poor little 7 year old was born with a hearing defect and stutters, especially when she's excited. But she's the sweetest little girl and only fights when she's standing up for herself or her 4 year old brother. So when she came home today out of it, I figured someone had made fun of her... Again. After getting them a snack, I sat her down and asked her how her day at school had been. She looked at me and asked me, "What does 'aborted' mean?" My first reaction was to ask where she'd heard such a thing. She said one of her classmates was picking on her for her stutter and had told her "You should've been aborted!". I was stunned. I didn't quite know what else to do, so I answered her as honestly as I thought appropriate. I told her it meant a woman went to a doctor and the doctor would take the baby out of the mama too soon and the baby wouldn't live anymore. They'd had a pet fish that died recently, so she asked me if it was like when the fish 'wasn't living anymore'. I said yes, something like that. She started to cry and asked me if her mama wanted to do that to her, if she really should've been aborted. I broke down and hugged her as tight as I could and promised her that her mama loved her very VERY much, and so did I. As soon as her mother got home, I told her about our conversation and she wasn't sure she agreed with me telling her what it meant, but did agree that she would've found out sooner or later. What would you have done?

amonkeymom
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM

How awful! And, how dare someone say that to a child. Obviously this other child is learning things that a 7 year old doesn't need to know. :(

YoungMama93
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I wanted to find the kid to said it and beat their butt!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 11:41 AM

wow, it's not easy when stuff like that happens, I've had to have many awkward conversations with my daughter because of what other people have said to her like explain to her what a "condom baby" was, and IUDs, and internal clocks, trans-genders and  stuff.  you had no choice to answer I think you did the best you could and you did good.  Damn kids are mean !!!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)