Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Tells Student God Doesn't Exist

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

Teacher Tells Student God Doesn't Exist

Look, I get separation of church and state, and believe that religion should not be taught as fact by public school teachers. I also don't believe that teachers should present any legit religions as fiction, either. So I have a huge problem when I hear about a middle school teacher instructing students that God is just a myth.

12-year-old Jordan Wooley was given an assignment on Monday at West Memorial Junior High School in Katy, Texas that made her uncomfortable. Her teacher asked the students to identify statements as facts, opinions or commonplace assertions, and one of the prompts was on God.

Jordan identified the existence of God as both a fact and an opinion, the teacher told her that she was wrong. The tween told the local news that she believed God existed as a fact, but wanted to be respectful to other people's beliefs, and allowed that it could also be an opinion to some.

Jordan's mom, Chantel Wooley contacted the school, and also posted these screenshot of texts between her and her daughter to her Facebook page.

Chantel Wooley's photo.
Chantel Wooley's photo.

"In this day in age, I would have never guessed that something like this would happen in a classroom in America," she told ABC News.

Mother and daughter also attended a school board meeting, where the youngster shared her side of the story to those present. How freaking brave is that girl? She just stood up for her beliefs in a major way, and I bet her mom is as proud of her as she is upset about the situation.

The school issued a statement saying that the teacher was "distraught" over being vilified by the incident, and that the ungraded assignment had been misconstrued. I'm not sure about that ... why even include that question at all? There's no reason at all for teachers to teach students that any religion is true or false. If they're going to teach about it, the only way to do is to stick with the actual facts -- here are the core beliefs of this religion, which many people hold to be factually accurate. 

Teaching them God is a myth is not educational -- it's just plain wrong.

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
greenlady4
by New Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Yeah, I would go to the school, give them a piece of my mind then take my kid out.

Oh, wait...I did that already.

My kids are now in a small, private Christian school.

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:10 PM

it is not a teacher's place to tell the kids whether God is real or not.  I am saying that and I have raised my daughter completely agnostic. What people believe in is their business and they should not scold kids for their beliefs

Rooobeee
by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 4:51 PM

The best thing the teacher could have done was give everyone credit for that one question. Not only because that question never should have been included with the assignment, but because she should have recognized that every student would have a different opinion as to the existence of God. Students who grow up in a religious environment are going to say that God is real, whereas others who don't believe in God are going to answer that question as an opinion.

BHLF4
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:12 PM
I wonder if the teacher was looking for Common Assertion as an answer. I don't think the question should have been asked b/ c it is inflammatory. I do believe in schools teaching a World Religion's type class, but it should be a broad overview of major religion's, not any kind of proof of fact or myth.

Although this statement does make me laugh, "I also don't believe that teachers should present any legit religions as fiction, either." What counts as a legit religion?
StarLight23
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Wow yeah that teacher was WRONG! Even I know better than to bring that up in casual conversation much less a classroom!!

A new low for the USA!

Sometimes I am just plain embarrassed to be an American.

lfp
by Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I would find that teacher in the dark night, throw something on her head and beat the shit out of he/her. The cover is so she cant actually see me or God

Suckit90
by on Oct. 31, 2015 at 12:29 AM
I am looking into those! Is there a lot of bullying?

Quoting greenlady4:

Yeah, I would go to the school, give them a piece of my mind then take my kid out.

Oh, wait...I did that already.

My kids are now in a small, private Christian school.

buttersworth
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 2:36 AM

Wait, wait, the school board is concerned about the teacher who was distraught over being "vilified"?

What about the children who were distraught that they're being forced to deny their religion?

This should not have been part of the material, at all.

I get what the teacher was trying to do. She was trying to say because you can't prove God, he's not a fact. This is a complicated issue even we grown-ups have a hard time in understanding each other over it.

This was so completely inappropriate, I don't think that teacher was thinking at all. What an idiot.

Adrastea
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 10:47 AM
I don't think teachers should be pushing any religious belief or absence thereof.
Oddyssey
by Member on Oct. 31, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Wow, sounds like they're starting young these days, trying to force children to deny their religious beliefs.  It should never have been on the test and the teacher should have had respect for the student's answer, since she (the student) was trying to encompass everyone's beliefs.  I commend that child and her mother for standing up for God and for what they believe in! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)