Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Am I wrong?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 63 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you let your SO take an infant into the house of a chain-smoker (who smokes inside)?

Options:

Hell naw!

Yes, it's not that bad.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 124

View Results

DH wants to take dd (6 months) to a Halloween party that his cousin is throwing. My issue? He's (the cousin) a chain smoker and smokes INSIDE. You walk in and it's instantly like breathing in second hand smoke!! And he wants to take her in that?! He is fully aware that I don't want her going in there until she's at least a year, he even agreed to it at one time! I've also had anxiety fits (battling some ppd) about SIDS. I had to help a friend bury her 3 month old a few years ago, so I was traumatized by that. If she went into that, I'd literally wake up every couple hours each night for a week to make sure she's ok. Am I wrong for wanting him to not take her? Or am I overreacting?

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Not as an infant or any age, my kids aren't allowed in homes where there is smoking in the home, and it's not negotiable. I don't think it's overreacting when we know the clear and serious danger associated with second hand smoke. Also, I wouldn't take my 6 month old to a halloween party at all. 

pochaccotx
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 11,4 and 2 and I won't let them go inside a house if someone smokes inside.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:11 PM

My husband claims he's 'guilt tripped' into wanting to take her because so many of his family claims they 'hardly get to see the baby'. Yet no one ever comes to OUR place to visit and see her!! It drives me insane!!

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Not as an infant or any age, my kids aren't allowed in homes where there is smoking in the home, and it's not negotiable. I don't think it's overreacting when we know the clear and serious danger associated with second hand smoke. Also, I wouldn't take my 6 month old to a halloween party at all. 

bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:18 PM

I would of never agreed to him taking her after she is a year old. Second hand smoke is a hazard to any age person (im sure you are aware, lol) Im sooo glad no one close smokes in our families. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Is it an adult party or one for kids? If it's an adult party a baby shouldn't be there in the 1st place. If the family wants to see her they can make the effort to do so, it's not your husband's responsibility to bring her to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:24 PM

"You can't shelter her forever" is what he claims. Like, ok, the smoke makes me feel sick, gives you headaches, and you STILL wanna put her in that?!

Quoting bresmommy21:

I would of never agreed to him taking her after she is a year old. Second hand smoke is a hazard to any age person (im sure you are aware, lol) Im sooo glad no one close smokes in our families. 

bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting Anonymous 1:

"You can't shelter her forever" is what he claims. Like, ok, the smoke makes me feel sick, gives you headaches, and you STILL wanna put her in that?!

Quoting bresmommy21:

You can shelter her till she is old enough to make that life decision to expose herself to it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:26 PM

A couple family members bring their 3 yo kids to the party. They didn't start doing that till after a year or so. He's 'guilt tripped' as he claims SO friggin easily!!

Quoting Anonymous 3:

Is it an adult party or one for kids? If it's an adult party a baby shouldn't be there in the 1st place. If the family wants to see her they can make the effort to do so, it's not your husband's responsibility to bring her to them.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Right? Like, I know there's crap out in public, not much you can do about that. But inside the house of a smoker that does it INSIDE?! Hell naw!

Quoting bresmommy21:
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting bresmommy21:

You can shelter her till she is old enough to make that life decision to expose herself to it.

bresmommy21
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 3:31 PM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Right? Like, I know there's crap out in public, not much you can do about that. But inside the house of a smoker that does it INSIDE?! Hell naw!

Quoting bresmommy21:
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Quoting bresmommy21:

A girl friend of mine, in her 20's has COPD because her parents are chain heavy smokers. Yes I know this is different from just visiting a smokers house, but why take the chance. Their lungs are so acceptable to things at that age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)