Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I hate cooking!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

I used to love to cook dinner for my family of 4.  It was simple because my husband worked nights so all I had to do was feed the kids.  My husband would tell me when you make that make extra or save some for me, I will take it for lunch the next day.  Well that never happened. My fridge was full of food he wouln't eat.  I hate having to throw out food.  In November my husband changed to day shift, so I had to come up with a game plan for dinners.  I would ask what you would you like and his response was I don't care.  well that's no help!!! So I would cook something and he would barely eat. Now my 3 yr old son is doing the same thing.  I don't want to cook if no one is going to eat.  I feel useless when it comes to dinner.  I have actually just told them to fend for them selfs sometimes.  It makes me upset that my husband can't have an opinion on something so simple.  I just want to cook dinner that my whole family wants to eat, without  complaint or throwing the leftovers away a week later.

Posted by Anonymous on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
loco_sue
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 12:45 AM
We have left over night i just get all the left overs out warm them up no cooking and that is the night i would toss it.
othermom
by Member on Jan. 23, 2016 at 6:30 PM

That does get frustrating

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:17 PM

Just let them fend for themselves, I think that would have made me very happy.  =]

diaperstodating
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 10:52 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

Just let them fend for themselves, I think that would have made me very happy.  =]

AidanTiarra
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:30 PM
I'm pretty lucky as far as my husband goes, he will eat just about anything. My kids all have very different tastes though.

I plan our meals and I let everyone choose a meal. Just write a list of all the meals that you could make and ask your husband to choose 1 or 2 and let your kids pick 1 of their favorites if they are old enough.

We also give the kids to out meals a month. My stepson hates soup, my oldest daughter hates tacos, my son hates salisbury steak so if we are having those meals they have the option to have something else that night. I won't make them something different, but they can choose to reheat something frozen, have cereal or just a portion of the normal meal. However they can only do that twice a month at the most and it doesn't usually happen that often.

I also freeze leftovers unless I know they are going to be eaten the next day. We do have a food sealer and a deal freezer though.

If your husband doesn't want to give any input into dinners what does he end up eating? I don't think I would want to cook either if it was just being wasted. Tell him how you feel.
JanetteA
by on Jan. 23, 2016 at 11:57 PM

My husband has been known to do this, so I wonder if yours does too.

He has a fairly long commute and he often drives through McDonald's and gets a burger or somethign on the way home.  Then when dinner is served he's not hungry.

kika.fleur
by Member on Jan. 24, 2016 at 12:31 AM

Do you know what he does like? Start making the things you know he will eat instead of asking him what he'd like.

DisabledVet
by on Jan. 25, 2016 at 3:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe it's not that he can't have an opinion as much as it is that he doesn't want to have to think about it.  When I was working full time, there were a lot of days I didn't want to have to decide what we had for dinner.  I'd already spent the day making tons of decisions and was all decisioned out. 

I plan meals for the week (after checking the ads in the paper) and post them on the fridge.  Before your husband got this job where he worked nights, I'm sure that you used to make meals for him.  What did he like?  I learned long ago not to take the I don't care answer as an insult.  We've been together for over 20 years and we knew each other for 10 before that.  I know what he likes and I know what he hates and I cook accordingly.  I don't worry about left overs, in fact I plan for them.  What's left over either goes into the freezer for left over stew or is packaged for a leftover night (where everyone chooses a leftover meal to eat).  What are the things your husband has eaten and you could tell by looking at him, that he loved it?  When you eat out, what does he order? I learned to cook the things he ordered when we went out. 

I love cooking shows and have a large collection of cookbooks. There are tons of recipes on the internet.  It's my job as a SAHM and wife to create meals that my family wants to eat.  I try to introduce at least one new meal every week (it's not hard to do if you search the net).  After 20+ years of marriage, I know what my husband loves and what he won't eat. 

I don't understand why this is such a huge issue for you. Haven't you watched what they like and dislike?  They shouldn't have to tell you.

The rule for kids in our family was that you had to try everything that was served and if you decided you didn't like it, you didn't have to eat it, but nothing new was made for you. 

The only time they got to choose was if we had a frozen meal from Stoffer's.  I keep a supply of these in the freezer along with my own frozen dinners for days that I didn't have time to cook. 

I also plan left overs.  When I make meatloaf, I always freeze an extra one (I usually make 3.  1 for the meal, 1 for sandwiches and 1 for the freezer).  When I reheat meat loaf I do it in beef broth which keeps the meatloaf moist.  Same with meat balls.  I process about 20 lbs of hamburger into premade  meatballs.  These are great for spaghetti, meatball sandwiches, meatball stew, BBQ meatballs, etc.  I also process hamburger by boiling it for sloppy joes, tacos, Shepard's pie, etc.  After it's boiled and is in granules, it's drained, rinsed (to get the fat off) and then put in seal a meal bags with the vacume sealer.  Each bag has a specific weight in it (marked on the outside of the bag). 

coala
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM

My family eats what I cook or they go hungry.  I only do "fend for yourself nights" when I don't feel good.  I don't feel well today, so they are going to handle their own dinner.  I have a migraine and daddy pulled his groin muscle earlier today.  My girls will live if they eat sandwiches tonight.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)