Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She's not going to stay there with guns in the house

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 200 Replies

DD10 was invited to a sleepover this weekend and I agreed to it but in attempting to coordinate rides with another guest's mom (I'll have to work during drop-off time and she'll have to work during pick-up time), I found out that the sleepover host's dad is a "gun nut" (the other mom's words, not mine). The mom I was chattingn with found out from her DD and said the kids at school all talk about the dad's guns all the time, which makes us think maybe he doesn't keep them locked safely away from the kids, even when guests are over, and that makes us neither one want our kids to go. 

Do you let your kids stay in homes where guns are present? I'm firmly anti-gun, not that I think people don't have the right to bear arms, but just I don't want them in my home or around my kids. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this
My dad has a hand gun and keeps it up away from my 3 year old and 1 year old.

If the dad keeps the gubs out he doesn't have the bullets in them and is on safety lock where the kids can't shoot it.

Of course I'll allow my kids to go to someone's house that owns guns. I feel safer if they did. In my opinion.
Tigress22304
by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:31 PM
7 moms liked this

Try talking to the father first

most ppl I know that have guns in the house-keep them locked up

K3412
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:33 PM
3 moms liked this

I grew up in a household with guns (locked up) and many of my friends were the same way. I would be okay with it, as long as I knew the family. Regardless, you should also teach your daughter proper behavior around guns. Even if she doesn't encounter one at your house, she will eventually somewhere at some point.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 2:44 PM
1 mom liked this

We don't do sleep overs but we do own guns. Our kids aren't aware of where they're kept. My oldest does know we have them but the other two are too young to realize what's what. The guns are locked away and ammo is kept in a separate lock box in my husband's office that is off limits to the kids. Most people I know own guns. Several of our church members, my husband included, have conceal carry licenses and carry all the time. That being said I don't blame you at all. I definitely wouldn't send my child if I didn't know and trust where they'd be staying and who they're staying with. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:52 PM
We have. But they rarely do sleepovers and we must know the parents first.
kiki719
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:06 PM
Depends on how good I know them and if I trust them. We have guns in our home however none of my children know a thing about them
ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
We have an entire arsenal at our house, but they are all kept in a safe with the exception of one that is hidden in plain site in the master bedroom in case of emergency. My husband collects guns as a hobby. We are a gun friendly family, these kinds of things don't bother me. My child knows better than to touch or play with someone else's firearm.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 10:28 PM
3 moms liked this

If I trust you with my kid,I need to trust your house. I would talk to the dad and make sure everything is put away safe. If kids are talking about it, it shows interest and that they know its in the house somewhere I personally wouldn't let my kids go. Takes one of those wondering kids to go hunting and find a gun. pretend to pull a trigger for a nightmare to begin. 

Willow_Phoenix
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Yep I would let my kids go but I've also taught my daughter and son that you see a gun you leave it alone. I grew up with guns in the house and shooting guns when I was a kid. The biggest accidents with guns are kids thinking they're toys and parents not having them properly stored.

BaronSamedi
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM

That is stupid.  It takes way too long to get them.  99% of the people are not James Bond.  Most do not practice enough to get muscle memory.  I have shot at a burglar and killed varmits on my land.  Of course people are stupid.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Try talking to the father first

most ppl I know that have guns in the house-keep them locked up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)