Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Who's responsibility is this?

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok, this is a random question, but I wanted to post it on here and see what people think.  

Back Story: I live next to an empty field and the land was donated to a church and the church was build directly behind my back yard. (It's ugly and blocks my view now, but that's beside the point.) I've had problems with the developers from the start. At one point they had our water lines crossed and were cutting off our water and charging up our bill, all while I had a newborn baby in the house. Well we resolved that and I got them to pay our bills for a couple months.

Cut to 6 months later: my dog keeps getting out of the yard. He's been picked up by animal control 4 times now. I've had to pay $150 in fines to the City and $60 in shelter fees from the first time they got him when they took him to the pound because he didn't have a collar on. The last time they picked him up they told me I'd be getting  a citation in the mail so that'll probably be another $200.

After he got out the first time we walked around the perimeter of the yard and discovered that part of the chain link fence was torn down...by a bulldozer I'm guessing. It's hard to see back there because there is a lot of bamboo and we never go back there so we didn't notice. My hubby tried putting up chicken wire fence to block it off, but the dog just kept finding a way to claw under it or over it...hence why he kept getting out.

I have contacted the church and they are "going to have a meeting about it" on Sunday. I'm 100% sure the fence was torn down by the developers on accident be cause the way it is mangled is not something a dog or human could do.  My queston is: should I ask the church to pay for the animal control fees too??? It really is their fault our dog has been escaping and its been really hard on us having a baby and having to chase down our dog every week. Do you think it should be their responsibility to reimburse us for the fees after all the crap we've had to go through? Or should I just get them to fix the fense?

by on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 3:06 PM
1 mom liked this
You could always ask though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:19 PM
Why doesn't he have a collar?? I would expect the church to pay for it since they are responsible for the fence being cut, torn whatever. I would bill them for the fence repair and the citation.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:20 PM

****Whose

TranquilMind
by Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:22 PM
Your dog, your problem. If they damaged the fence and you have proof, fix the fence and solve your problem first, and then send the church a bill. I can't believe you just let it continue and then think anyone else should pay the fines.
MikeysMom22
Happy Black Friday All!! Advent will soon be here and the stores have us all believing the Christmas season is upon us!!! Don't get your self in a tangle!!
Yesterday at 11:29 AM
by Bronze Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:36 PM

Fix the fence and then send them the bill to see if they will pay.

If you don't fix it and your dog keeps getting out that is your problem. They should not be paying for  that.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2016 at 7:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I would absolutely make the church pay for the fence replacement and animal control fees. I'd take them to court if necessary, too.  

coco1985566
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:21 PM
We tried fixing it with chicken wire but that didn't work. We don't have 100s of dollars laying around to get the fence repaired.

Quoting TranquilMind: Your dog, your problem. If they damaged the fence and you have proof, fix the fence and solve your problem first, and then send the church a bill. I can't believe you just let it continue and then think anyone else should pay the fines.
TranquilMind
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:25 PM
But you are the one with the dog, who needs a fence and who is being fined? If you don't fix it, expect to continue to be fined.

Your dog. Your problem. Get a handyman or get your husband out there and fix the fence. Then go for compensation. You can't just wait until magically the fence fairy decides to fix it and expect others to pay your fines.

Quoting coco1985566: We tried fixing it with chicken wire but that didn't work. We don't have 100s of dollars laying around to get the fence repaired.

Quoting TranquilMind: Your dog, your problem. If they damaged the fence and you have proof, fix the fence and solve your problem first, and then send the church a bill. I can't believe you just let it continue and then think anyone else should pay the fines.
DisabledVet
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:38 PM

Talk to an attorney.  It would depend on the laws in your state. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 5:45 PM
I wouldn't ask for the fees. It is not the churches fault the dog keeps getting out. The first time the dog got out it was their fault. Every time it has happened since is your fault for not doing something to keep your dog in your yard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)