Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm so done with this place!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
1 mom liked this

I work a dead end retail job right now. It's part time, so no more than 25 hours a week. Which, was fine since I have 2 kids and my husband has an established career that takes care of us, but it would help more if we had another income coming in. We could use a bigger place.  The problem, though, is they are scheduling me only 8 hours a week, and it's usually spread out between 2 days. So they're really only 4 hour days. I have a new, full time job lined up for next week. It would be an actual career, and could open the door to many opportunities. It's an overnight position as a CNA. But again, the problem is, they want me to start next week. Since it's a minimum wage retail job, would it be alright to quit without notice? They just hired a bunch of new employees, which is why my hours have been cut. Thanks in advance for your opinions. 

Posted by Anonymous on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nashville27
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM
Yep give them your notice now and tell them why they will be alright
.SweetHart.
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:46 PM
The moral and ethical thing to do is a 2 weeks notice at min. But if you need this job, it's already absolutely guaranted and they won't allow you to start one week later, go for it. The worst that will happen is if a future employer calls for a reference, they can disclose you quit without proper notice.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:48 PM

Maybe i can talk to my manager and finish out this week. They really like me/value me, and I have been an employee for 2 years almost. In that time I've been employee of the month for the last 6. I'm not sure they will reference me badly. 

Quoting .SweetHart.: The moral and ethical thing to do is a 2 weeks notice at min. But if you need this job, it's already absolutely guaranted and they won't allow you to start one week later, go for it. The worst that will happen is if a future employer calls for a reference, they can disclose you quit without proper notice.

jeannie39
by Member on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:54 PM
1 mom liked this
I would tell them you're leaving as soon as possible. Even though it won't be a two week notice, I'm sure they would appreciate some notice.

I never burn bridges with employers, if at all possible. You never know when life circumstances could change and you may need them for a job or reference. Most employers will wish the employees the best at bettering themselves as long as you try to leave on good terms.
.SweetHart.
by on Mar. 13, 2016 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this
A lot of the times, if they can afford to they will go ahead and let you go then. I remember the first time that happened to me, I was shocked. I was 16 working at Sonic, got offered a job in my sons daycare. When I went to my boss to give 2 weeks notice, he said "you can just clock out now and turn in your uniform"

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Maybe i can talk to my manager and finish out this week. They really like me/value me, and I have been an employee for 2 years almost. In that time I've been employee of the month for the last 6. I'm not sure they will reference me badly. 

Quoting .SweetHart.: The moral and ethical thing to do is a 2 weeks notice at min. But if you need this job, it's already absolutely guaranted and they won't allow you to start one week later, go for it. The worst that will happen is if a future employer calls for a reference, they can disclose you quit without proper notice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Mar. 13, 2016 at 2:00 PM

That will probably be the case. They just hired 6 new employees two weeks ago. 

Quoting .SweetHart.: A lot of the times, if they can afford to they will go ahead and let you go then. I remember the first time that happened to me, I was shocked. I was 16 working at Sonic, got offered a job in my sons daycare. When I went to my boss to give 2 weeks notice, he said "you can just clock out now and turn in your uniform"
Quoting Anonymous 1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 13, 2016 at 7:06 PM
What I did was give my two weeks, and work both jobs. Blows, but it's only for one week when you think about it.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

I work a dead end retail job right now. It's part time, so no more than 25 hours a week. Which, was fine since I have 2 kids and my husband has an established career that takes care of us, but it would help more if we had another income coming in. We could use a bigger place.  The problem, though, is they are scheduling me only 8 hours a week, and it's usually spread out between 2 days. So they're really only 4 hour days. I have a new, full time job lined up for next week. It would be an actual career, and could open the door to many opportunities. It's an overnight position as a CNA. But again, the problem is, they want me to start next week. Since it's a minimum wage retail job, would it be alright to quit without notice? They just hired a bunch of new employees, which is why my hours have been cut. Thanks in advance for your opinions. 

Pukalani79
by Ivy on Mar. 13, 2016 at 11:59 PM
I would give notice. It's never a good idea to burn bridges
DarksMama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 12:17 AM

Don't bother with notice. They'll just dropkick you on the spot with all those new hires.

JayTee80
by Member on Mar. 14, 2016 at 8:46 AM

I'd let them know you can finish out the week.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)