Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How often did you make mistakes at a new job?

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM
  • 12 Replies
Did you feel scared like you were going to get fired? I have been at my job exactly a month now and inside I am always worried I'm not doing good enough and that I will get fired at the end of my 3 month probation. I have two more months to do better.

At first I was told I was a fast learner and independent. I fear with my mistakes they will think less of me. They left me alone too soon with little training so I make little mistakes here and there. I would say 2-3x a week whether it's misspelling a name, entering the wrong data, etc. I've been learning to double check but it's all so new to me I guess I'm missing certain things to check when I turn it in to my trainer for review.

I try to not repeat my mistake but every time I learn it's like a new mistake comes up some where else. I can easily forgive myself for ones that are a learning curve but I fee bad with double checking and realizing I missed something still. But like I will have something wrong in one place 1 out of 5 papers I turn in for benefit enrollment. So many details and different scenarios to handle things, nothing is the same.
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LisaStiles
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 12:50 PM
I am surprised that a job at a glory hole has a probationary period.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:29 AM

sorry, as an admin for 20 years there is just no excuse to misspell a name. 

bookaddict88
by on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:35 AM
Minor mistakes a few times a week are fine. If you were making major mistakes, your supervisor would tell you. Trust me. I have been at my job for over 2 years and I still make minor mistakes every once is while. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:41 AM
1 mom liked this

My neighbor is a mechanic, they needed a very part time receptionist fill-in for Mondays at the shop he works at. It has been nearly a year since I was hired and I still feel like that. My 1st day I just walked in, they showed me the front area, and told me to get to work. That's it. No one has ever trained me and I fuck up fairly regularly. Not to mention that I was honest about knowing very little about the inner workings of motor vehicles but they make ME order all of the parts they need for each job. I've been getting better but you should see the looks I get when I call one of them into the office to make sure that I'm getting them the right part. I've thought of quitting more than a few times.

BUT....no one is saying anything to me and it doesn't sound like anyone is worried about you either. Maybe this is more of a anxiety thing for us. Maybe it's the fact that we feel like we have no idea what we're doing and we're afraid that someone will notice lol. I say ride it out, that's what I'm going to do.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:44 AM

I've been with the same company for almost 6 years.  I still make minor mistakes.  As long as you admit your mistakes, try to correct them and attempt to not make that same mistake again, then you are doing fine.

We have had a person working for us for over a year now and he makes the same mistakes day in and day out.  We are constantly sending stuff back to him to fix.  I think my boss would catch a lot of them and fix them for him....but if he doesn't know he is screwing up how can he correct the problem.  I was making a lot of mistakes last fall.  Something out of the ordinary for me.  After a MONTH my boss confronted me about it because she was tired of fixing my mistakes....that I wasn't aware I was making.  I asked her to NEVER go that long without telling me.  I can't fix what I don't know is wrong.

Good luck with the job and getting through your probationary period.  I'll bet you are going to do fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:45 AM

Hang in there these things are a learning process and just try not to make the same mistake twice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Mar. 23, 2016 at 7:51 AM

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Your kidding right with the misspell names?  With the way people spell names now a days in unique ways it can happen and especially with foreign names. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Mar. 24, 2016 at 7:15 AM
Have you seen the way people spell their names or their children? Names are not as cookie cutter as they use to.

I mean really:

Caitlyn, Kaitlyn, Caitlin, Kaitlin, Caytlin, Caitlynn,

Jackson, Jaxon, Jaxson

Or just the "different" names.
And those are just the first names. Some of those last names are tough also.
I can see where those mistakes happen.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

rough2_tough
by Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 7:18 AM
Can you talk with your trainer and ask what you can do to better in the areas you are concerned with?
AnnieGoolaheey
by Member on Mar. 24, 2016 at 7:44 AM
Tell that to the people who mispell my name. It happens everywhere all the time.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)