Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is everybody nowadays just heartless?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies
I have been off work sick, so much so that I have had 3 trips to err in less than 2mns.They are still trying to get the diagnosis. Before all this happened, I have given my supervisor a hands up because at the beginning, there were talks of surgery. Not even one word from her. She completely got mad & stopped talking to me. A week later Dr booked me off for a week, went & gave her the Drs note, again nothing. Now this is the woman whose workstation is right beside mine& she tells me all stories about her life & enjoy conversations with my customers (I work in customer service), that's she hadn't moved me. Usually the spot where I am is reserved for new employees, for them to be closer to supervisor in case they needed help. New staff had come & she placed them elsewhere. In fact, there has been talks of moving one girl to my spot for months ( because she is so dramatic with customers & being closer to supervisor could help to keep tabs on her)&she is still hasn't done it. Anyway, went back to work after a week off& not even 'welcome back or how was your appointment?' She completely ignored me the whole time & only spoke to me when she wanted something from me. Funny enough, she asked a few of my customers how they were feeling as they came up to my station. One in particular was hospitalized with her husband.The next day a co- worker had called in sick the day before & got exactly the same treatment I got. I was just stunned!! I mean its one thing to expect hard work, commitment & all that but when you are in supervisory position, you still have the responsibility to ensure your staffs welfare especially when they go above & beyond & put in more of their own hours ( no overtime pay).

Anyway, this week as I am again sick- I got a tex from my sister that she is hospitalized. Being as caring as I am, I picked up the phone, called her , asked if she needed help& was ready to arrange that for her ( we live 3 continents away)& kept checking up on her. I also mentioned that I have been sick for a while & off work because of it. We kept on texting, she kept me updated ( that she was discharged & back home) but not one time did she ask how I was feeling. Are people nowadays just wrapped up in their own lives that they forget that others exist & only remember them in times of need? Or are they just so heartless & cold?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PISCIS29
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:30 AM
1 mom liked this
Not all of them. Sorry you're not doing so well. How are you feeling? Anything you wanna talk about? You doing okay hun?
Pukalani79
by Ivy on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:41 AM
Not heartless, just wrapped up in their own lives, I think. I am sorry. How are you feeling?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:43 AM
I am feeling ok, just waiting to get answers from the Dr. Thank you all for asking:-)

Quoting Pukalani79: Not heartless, just wrapped up in their own lives, I think. I am sorry. How are you feeling?
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

people tend to be wrapped up in their own little world and everybody thinks their drama is the most important ... it's very typical.   Been there, done that, got 10 T-shirts to prove it. 

But I hope you are feeling better.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:51 AM
Your supervisor not asking is not a big deal. And if it bugs you that much, you seriously need to get thicker skin. My dh is a supervisor and one of the employees has been in and out due to pregnancy issues. He doesn't ask her each time she comes back if everything is ok or check up on her. Not why he's there. He has his own life and plenty going on in it.
Do you know your supervisor well enough to say you know what her life is like and what's going on in it? You're as self absorbed as she is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 20, 2016 at 11:45 AM
I totally disagree with you on that. It's common courtesy to do that. It would be different if she had an office a little further. Plus, this is the first time I ever needed time off.And like I said, she talks to me all about her life, her problems etc. because we sit next to each other. It shows that she lacks good manners, period!

Quoting Anonymous 2: Your supervisor not asking is not a big deal. And if it bugs you that much, you seriously need to get thicker skin. My dh is a supervisor and one of the employees has been in and out due to pregnancy issues. He doesn't ask her each time she comes back if everything is ok or check up on her. Not why he's there. He has his own life and plenty going on in it.
Do you know your supervisor well enough to say you know what her life is like and what's going on in it? You're as self absorbed as she is.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM

If you work in customer service, small talk and pretending to care is part of the job. Fawning over and questionin employees after extended time off really isn't part of the job discription.  Honestly, why do you expect her to be so caring and understanding.... you do realize it is not a social club but a business, right?

As for texting family about personal stuff is a whole different ball game.

Grow up, suck it up and do your work.  Expect the kindness and sympathy from your actual freinds and family.

Diamepphyre
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 12:56 PM
Not entirely sure what you seem to be expecting. I've never worked anyplace where the supervisor made some kind of big fuss over someone coming back to work after an illness of any length. The world doesn't revolve around you.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:22 PM

I MMOB and don't ask about people personal business.  It's less drama in my life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 3:28 PM

I hope you're feeling better!
I guess it really just depends on the job so to speak. I once worked a job at a call center, and I got super sick. I was in the hospital, filled out all the proper paperwork for insurance purposes but they ended up firing me.
Now the last couple of jobs, I have had are very family oriented. I have had co workers come bring me soup, call/text me to see if I need anything, etc.  
I don't think it's a black and white issue. Just because I am close with some co workers doesn't mean we are all up in each other's business.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)