Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The grandparents spoil them rotten!

Posted by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM
  • 36 Replies

I don't mind that my kids' grandparents are so involved in their lives, for the most part, but when they stay overnight with them, they always come back sick because the grandparents spoiled them with overindulging in treats and things that they don't normally eat. 

For example, last time they got into the car puking. That was NOT a fun ride home! Turned out, all they had was cookies and Coke all day, and clearly had their weight in it at that. I really had to give the gp's an earful on that one. 

Do you mind your parents/ils spoiling your kids? Are there limits?

by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 4:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:11 PM

Should have taken a photo of it and send it to them telling them this is why I like them feeding them junk food. And that you have to clean up their mess.  Tell them no more overnight visits. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:13 PM
Oh man I dealt with the same thing. I never give my kids soda and DH and I don't drink it either- mil gave them coke all day and the kids got so sick :(

You gotta put your foot down !
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:15 PM

Luckily my parents are very supportive in how I raise my children and my wishes for them when they are at their house. My mom especially. On occasion I will have to 'remind' my dad that cookies are not meals. He will jump up to get them whatever they ask for, but i thinks its more of an absent minded thing with him, he doesn't have a good memory :) But most of the time it will dawn on him to double check with Granny or me before giving in to the kids.

My In-Laws never want anything to do with my kids, so I don't have much of a problem with them on that particular front.

queenanne
by Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 5:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand spoiling grandkids with food. I'm a grandma. I don't want my grand babies to eat shitty food. I want them to be healthy.

I do admit, I spoil them with toys and books. But, we keep most of the toys and books we get them at our house, so they don't clutter up their house. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:32 PM

We have limits!!!

I have a child with food allergies and one of them is to corn.  You can imagine the limit that in itself that puts on giving my kiddo's junk.  My parents however, let them sit and veg in front of the tv.  Since they ONLY get to see them in person about a week a year a let it slide.  My parents are disabled and running around and playing is hard on them.

coala
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 6:33 PM
1 mom liked this

As a parent that sounds very wonderful!

I can appreciate you wanting to indulge them, but them keeping that indulgence at your house is even better.

Quoting queenanne:

I don't understand spoiling grandkids with food. I'm a grandma. I don't want my grand babies to eat shitty food. I want them to be healthy.

I do admit, I spoil them with toys and books. But, we keep most of the toys and books we get them at our house, so they don't clutter up their house. 

redheadtmk
by on Apr. 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM

I dont mind lil one being spoiled as long as they do it in moderation. I would be upset to if all they fed him was cookies and coke.

SpiritedWitch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 9:54 PM

The only time I got strict with the grandparents was after son was put on a strict renal diet. Then I went over what he could and could not eat with both sets and gave them a list of approved foods b/c I knew my son would try to bullshit them to get the foods he no longer have.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:22 PM

Are GP's still following his strict diet?

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

The only time I got strict with the grandparents was after son was put on a strict renal diet. Then I went over what he could and could not eat with both sets and gave them a list of approved foods b/c I knew my son would try to bullshit them to get the foods he no longer have.

SpiritedWitch
by Bronze Member on Apr. 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM

No. He died in 2008 at 22 ... before his grandparents (my parents are still alive, hubby's are not). Complications of End-Stage Renal Disease. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Are GP's still following his strict diet?

Quoting SpiritedWitch:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)