Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hand me downs

Posted by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM
  • 21 Replies
People give me hand me downs for my baby. I appreciate it but some things are just ridiculous. I'm not a trash can. Someone I know who had a baby 3 months before me is offering me the leftover party supplies from her daughters first birthday. Seriously?!! Do you think I want my daughters first birthday theme to be your leftovers?! Who would do that? I get maybe if I was in dire straights, but I'm not that bad off to where I can't buy her her own party napkins and plates. The thing is, hers was a very specific theme and it would be completely obvious I was using her stuff. Some people have a lot of nerve.
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DisabledVet
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:09 PM

Donate what you don't want to a shelter or thrift store.

mommaof697
by on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:20 PM

I think people think I am a garbage can also. I want to get rid of stuff and it seems that more stuff comes in. ugh. Someone asked if I wanted plates. Some plates ok but these were paper plates well like the solo cup kind of plastic. They were an ugly orange color and there wasn't enough for my family. They also gave us two bags of stuffed animals. The kids got into those before I knew we got them. They are now all over the room.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 4, 2016 at 6:36 PM
Just keep paying it forward, you never know where you will be when she turns one.
Mrs.Bolin
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 1:54 AM

That would piss me off too.  

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 10:20 AM

I think they mean well but yeah, just "triage" through the stuff, keep what you need, donate what you don't want.  That's what I used to do

LattesAndWine
by Bronze Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 10:26 AM
Yeah that's pretty tacky. That would piss me of too. I'm due late September and luckily I've never experienced this personally.
PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Aug. 5, 2016 at 10:45 AM

My FIL is like that, lol.  Instead of throwing clutter away, he wants to send it to us.  We went for a visit when our daughter was a baby and he cleaned out his liquor cabinet and sent us home with most of the liquor.  When my MIL passed away, he sent us the baby food in the cabinet (she had cancer) even though my daughter was 2 by then and way past the babyfood stage.  Instead of tossing it in the trash, he boxed it up and mailed it to us.  

coco1985566
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:29 AM
Exactly. I have enough junk as it is, I don't need other people's garbage.

Quoting mommaof697:

I think people think I am a garbage can also. I want to get rid of stuff and it seems that more stuff comes in. ugh. Someone asked if I wanted plates. Some plates ok but these were paper plates well like the solo cup kind of plastic. They were an ugly orange color and there wasn't enough for my family. They also gave us two bags of stuffed animals. The kids got into those before I knew we got them. They are now all over the room.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 6, 2016 at 4:50 AM
I feel the same way
coco1985566
by Member on Aug. 6, 2016 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Exactly. I have enough junk as it is, I don't need other people's garbage.

Quoting mommaof697:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)