Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Neighbors begging for money...when did this become socially acceptable?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:43 AM
  • 43 Replies
2 moms liked this

So, I live in a nice neighborhood. Gated community (not a brag-this is pertinent to my vent)  In the last 2 weeks, I have had 1 facebook post, and another FB message soliciting $$ for their children's sports expenses. 

I have paid for all of my kids sports, and have 2 in college now, 1 in a masters program. I know it's expensive. 

These are flat out requests for money to pay for their kids competitive sports.

The first is a SAHM - whose youngest is almost 16. She has a housekeeper, a gardener,  a handyman, gets her groceries delivered, a vacation home, etc. Livies in a really nice house with a pool and just had kitchen remodeled, and drives a late model Lexus. No, she is not disabled. (she lives next door to me- I know all this)  I actually like her daughter - but she is just flat out requesting donations for her daughters  'expensive dance training and competition' .

The second one came in a FB message to me today - a neighbor, who also lives in a very nice house,pool, etc has a Corvette, a Harley and a speedboat, and a vaca house, who wants $ to help his College age son expenses for Football league expenses.

I too have an expensive hobby - riding and competing my horse. And in addition to working at the family business, I have 2 other jobs specifically to pay for it. 

Honestly, if 1 of these kids had come by with even crappy wrapping paper or cookie dough to sell, I would have bought some. But no - just a PayPal account, and give me money. I don't blame the kids - its the parents.  

Would they ask me for money to my face? Of course not! But they think this is okay?  

Sorry if i seem bitchy - but this has been eating at me. I really want to say to them "Are you F*cking Kidding Me???? "

okay - rant over - deep breath....

by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:49 AM
7 moms liked this
Entitlement at its finest.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:11 AM

Nothing surprises me anymore

We also live in the same type of community. We have four children ,we have put two  through college ...housing ,tuition ,car ,allowance etc .Both got nice rides to grad school.Currently our younger two are in college and we are taking care of them the same. One of our children wanted to go to a very expensive college for a liberal arts degree.We told him we would pay as if he went to a particular state school that is very highly ranked nation wide in this degree. We would help him obtain loans for the extra tuition. But would support housing ,allowance .car etc. He did research and decided the extra cost wasn't worth the cost in this degree.

We have received links on FB from kids from family with the same sort of money we have.They are asking for help to go across country to small private schools to obtain theatre ,music etc degrees. No issue with the degree ,one of mine is doing the same but go where you can afford to go .Another kid is smart attending a great school but is into pa-gents now. Because her parents are paying for three kids in college this year they can't afford some pageant training school so she is begging also.Once again nope ...this is an extracurricular not food or shelter ...get a job. 

So very odd to me .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:13 AM
4 moms liked this

Way to go parents lets just keep teaching the kids that it's everyone else's job to take care of all their wants and needs. New generation of entitled brats being taught by entitled brats.

Rhodin
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My guess is that, rich as they are, they're living above their means and have nothing in savings. So, when an unexpected expense comes up, they're suddenly struggling to pay the gardner and putting their hands out for their kid's ECs.
cellomom26
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:28 AM
That is pathetic! How is internet begging ok? I wondered if your neighbor was the PTO at your local elementary school, mine always has their hand out for donations.
DisabledVet
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 3:15 AM

It's not acceptable and if you can't afford your children's sports costs, you need to decide if they're important or not.  If they are, you sit down with your budget and start trimming.  Unless you're unique, there is usually a way of finding the money. 

sgyokel
by New Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 4:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm not wealthy, have been a single mother through divorce and then again through bereavement, and I have never and would never ask for money like that. My boy knows that it goes pay minus mortgage, gas/electric, insurance, general bills, food, clothes, tv and then treats like extra activities, in that order of importance.

That is some nerve.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 9:55 AM
Rich people's problems. I don't have any of that. I'm far from rich. I live in a nice 3 story townhouse. I never bother people for money for my kids sports and never give money for anyone else's.
Element5
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:10 AM
I think it's funny that they are asking for money.. Kindly declined.. Say oh shoot I would like to be to but I am a little short right now.. Suggest to her to do a " fund me" thing!

Both of my boys do travel sport and both are on travel team as well.. It gets $$.. But I don't sit there and beg people I know for $$... My kids their sports etc! I can't afford it they don't do it! The end!
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 10:11 AM

I'm so over people begging for money ... I'll never forget 2 years ago, my daughter's class did a 4 day trip I was told by DD's teacher that the cost would be an issue for one boy who's family was low income. So I boosted the amount required per family so that his trip would be paid for.

When the kids returned,  do I not see said boy get off the bus with a Fking tablet in his hands ....  low income my ass.  And like morons, we all paid for this kid's trip.  Just no, if you have money for a tablet, you had the money to pay for this trip especially that with all the fund raising we did (which the mom participated to NONE of them) the amount was down to $200 per child.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)