• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Monster in law from Hell

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 61 Replies

So let me start by saying it's my 15 year anniversary today. 15 years married, 16 together, and monster in law STILL HATES MY GUTS. Why? One simple reason. She ALWAYS manipulated her sons relationships before making sure he dated the "right girls" meaning ones she could control. Then I came in the picture and because she couldn't control me she tried to manipulate that. Obviously it didn't work. I have been as humanly nice as I possibly can to her, doesn't matter. Life is a competiton for her. She was sexeier at my age, she gained less weight during pregnancy, she did EVERYTHING perfect. Etc, etc, etc.

Throughout our time together she has played her games, been nasty as hell & when that doesn't work has been "SICK" to try and get attention. For instance, my father found out he had cancer 4 years ago, guess what, she had it too. Except after ranting and making a big deal out of it, that quietly went away. EVERY SINGLE TIME something big happens in our lives whether a move, birthday, sickness of ANY family member, or whatever, something happens to her and its a HUGE DEAL making her son worry for her. Then it eventually, quietly goes away when she realizes she can't fool us anymore. Hell beginning of this year my son & I took her to 2 doc appts where she went on & on about them finding something. Even came out of the MRI midway through to tell us the drs say they've never seen anything like it before. *eyeroll* Yet the very next day I took her to her other drs appt & on the way she got a phone call from the drs saying the MRI was just fine nothing wrong there. The only reason I know this is because I heard him say it. I made sure to immediatley text hubby to tell him. She would've just led him on if i hadn't heard that.

Fast Forward to now we're moving in the next few weeks. So guess what, now her bones are thinning, she can't walk right, and shes in LOTS of pain and needs help. And we're moving. Hubby is worried, but I know this is yet another cry wolf situation. Of course theres something big, AGAIN happening to her. I hate feeling this way, hell I want to feel bad for her, shes a great actress, but its her MO. She doesn't get enough attention from her son & grandson because shes blatantly told him how much she HATES ME & doesn't want to be around me for YEARS. So he doesn't want to be around her since I'm not welcome. She used to be the best grandma ever very loving to our son to the point of spoiling him rotten. Now she can't stand him, puts him down ALL the time, lets him watch movies we'd NEVER allow. And just doesn't give a shit about any of our rules. 

I want to talk to my husband & tell him I belive this is yet AGAIN another cry wolf, but not sure if i should because of how busy we are right now, and the fact I know it'll eventually just go away like it always does. If you've actually read all of this thank you for letting me vent. I'm just so sick of the monster being her drama queen self, again. The only thing I can take away from her being so awful for this long is knowing I want to make sure to be NOTHING like her when my son starts dating, and eventually gets married. 

Should I try to tell the hubby? Or just let it blow over like normal? Please let me know. Thanks!

Posted by Anonymous on Aug. 18, 2016 at 12:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:02 PM
7 moms liked this

I would ask DH to go to a doctor's appointment with her.   he needs to hear it from the doctor that his mother is healthy.   What's sad is that eventually, there probably will be a real health issue, but she has cried wolf so many times, that she will be ignored.   

I don't know that she hates you as much as she is jealous of you.  I am assuming your DH is her only son and you stole him away.    When a man marries, he tends to join his wife's family.  It is a shame that she couldn't appreciate you as the daughter she never had.   She sounds like a sad woman.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this
My mil is the same way! She's got nine kids and either sued or lost them all and DH is the only one she hasn't fucked up with...

Birthdays ect have to be about her and f it isn't she gets mad saying I am messing her life up-.-
SusanIsHere
by on Aug. 18, 2016 at 1:32 PM
7 moms liked this

My MIL does this crap too.  I tell my husband everything as it happens. I copy and save all texts, emails, and online things she does. I show him right away.   He finally sees her and is catching her in action. He was so used to ignoring her. 

Here are some things that have been helping me feel better but my MIL is still a monster.  Also, I am seen as a bitch by anyone who doesn't KNOW the real her.  She plays the victim so well.

When I hear her lying, I stop and correct her on the spot.  Friday my husband called and let her know we are home after traveling from the family funeral.  MIL took us off speaker phone(very rare for her) then acted like we were saying we wanted money back from the relatives and they were stiffing us.  We never mentioned it. She repeated it twice.  I texted all the people that are there instantly and explained.  "All he said is we are home because  they asked us to call so they didn't worry. He never brought up money owed or said anything about any of you.  We paid for the funeral flowers and put your names on it as a gift to the widow.  Like we discussed, we knew everyone would be traveling and we arrived first  so we bought the flowers.   For Christmas can we all chip in to get her a better phone and hearing aids so these misunderstandings don't keep happening?"  When she realized everyone's cell got a message at the same time, she grabbed a phone and read it.  She denied it but several people texted back they were glad she was busted.  We are ALL sick of her!

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:10 PM
2 moms liked this

yes my ex-MIL was like that too .... she cried Wolf so many times ... one time she called her son and told her she thought she had breast cancer when he told me I was like "NOPE, don't believe her for a minute" and he asked "Why?"  I answered, "I'm not that lucky"

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:11 PM

That is a great idea! I'll see if it can happen. Unfortunately he can't take any time off during the week but when he can it'd be well worth it!!! She is a VERY sad woman. I actually feel sorry for her that she feels it has to come to THIS to get attention.

Quoting Anonymous 2:

I would ask DH to go to a doctor's appointment with her.   he needs to hear it from the doctor that his mother is healthy.   What's sad is that eventually, there probably will be a real health issue, but she has cried wolf so many times, that she will be ignored.   

I don't know that she hates you as much as she is jealous of you.  I am assuming your DH is her only son and you stole him away.    When a man marries, he tends to join his wife's family.  It is a shame that she couldn't appreciate you as the daughter she never had.   She sounds like a sad woman.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:12 PM

Wow, thats awful! I love how everything has to be about HER mine is the same way. It's digusting! Sadly my own mother plays this card wonderfully too so I've at least had some practice. Sorry you have to deal with a monster too! ((hugs))

Quoting Anonymous 3: My mil is the same way! She's got nine kids and either sued or lost them all and DH is the only one she hasn't fucked up with... Birthdays ect have to be about her and f it isn't she gets mad saying I am messing her life up-.-

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:19 PM
1 mom liked this

You are my hero! That is EXACTLY how you HAVE to do it!!! I was really young when we got married, just turned 19, he was 30 so I wasn't as great at standing up for myself when we got married. Thankfully with some time I've learned to stand up for myself, become a very indepenant woman, gotten a LOT smarter, and I refuse to be a doormat & take her shit anymore. I'm thankful my husband now believes me and sees her shit for himself. Though "emergencys" like this he still, I guess, doesn't want to think she'd go THIS FAR. sigh. He'll learn. Hopefully sooner rather than later. 

Quoting SusanIsHere:

My MIL does this crap too.  I tell my husband everything as it happens. I copy and save all texts, emails, and online things she does. I show him right away.   He finally sees her and is catching her in action. He was so used to ignoring her.  Here are some things that have been helping me feel better but my MIL is still a monster.  Also, I am seen as a bitch by anyone who doesn't KNOW the real her.  She plays the victim so well.

When I hear her lying, I stop and correct her on the spot.  Friday my husband called and let her know we are home after traveling from the family funeral.  MIL took us off speaker phone(very rare for her) then acted like we were saying we wanted money back from the relatives and they were stiffing us.  We never mentioned it. She repeated it twice.  I texted all the people that are there instantly and explained.  "All he said is we are home because  they asked us to call so they didn't worry. He never brought up money owed or said anything about any of you.  We paid for the funeral flowers and put your names on it as a gift to the widow.  Like we discussed, we knew everyone would be traveling and we arrived first  so we bought the flowers.   For Christmas can we all chip in to get her a better phone and hearing aids so these misunderstandings don't keep happening?"  When she realized everyone's cell got a message at the same time, she grabbed a phone and read it.  She denied it but several people texted back they were glad she was busted.  We are ALL sick of her!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:21 PM

Is it wrong that I burst out laughing, almost spilling my drink. lol I seriously want to say that! But I still kinda like the husband and he might be a tad pissed at that. All the same, you said exactly what I wish I could! You go girl! :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

yes my ex-MIL was like that too .... she cried Wolf so many times ... one time she called her son and told her she thought she had breast cancer when he told me I was like "NOPE, don't believe her for a minute" and he asked "Why?"  I answered, "I'm not that lucky"

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:26 PM
1 mom liked this

My ex-MIL (good riddance !! with the divorce)  ruined EVERY single important event in my life if she attended them because it had to be all about her and I think deep down she purposely ruined them just to hurt me / piss me off.

Can you believe that when we got married, she guilt tripped her son (my then husband) that she should spend our week's vacation (aka honeymoon) with them  because back then they lived 6 hours away.  Yeah what a romantic honeymoon we had ... blerch

Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2016 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

No it's not wrong ... I knew she was faking that's why.

She was such a drama queen.  And she's the type too that complained about everything no matter what.  At some point she did have a malignant mole and I was asked to book her with my dermatologist...  the Dr saw her within a few days and got her mole removed and everything.  Did I ever get a thank you ?  Aw hell no ... all I got was bitching and complaning how weird she was and how long it was in the waiting room before she was seen. 

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Is it wrong that I burst out laughing, almost spilling my drink. lol I seriously want to say that! But I still kinda like the husband and he might be a tad pissed at that. All the same, you said exactly what I wish I could! You go girl! :)

Quoting Jinxed8:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)