• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

PTA/SEPTA

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 12 Replies
So in have this friend who tires to be a damn super mom.

She's on the PTA and SEPTA (special ed pta) and for the last 2 years she's been trying to get me to join. And this year she's really pushung for me to join the SEPTA.

My issue is- I'm already stretched super thin.

I work 9a till 2 then 6 till 11 taking care of my elderly dementia ridden grandma who broke her pelvis so that's adding to it.
I have 2 kids, 1 who needs therapy from 3 till 4 then another from 5 till 6, if the last one runs long I loose money cause the lady who's covering for me has to stay longer.

I have to manage t get grocerys, take the kids to cheer, and football at the moment, I have to make time for my husband when he's home (Monday and Friday. We don't really see him the other days).

The meetings are Fridays at 7pm. I'm either with dh, asleep, or doing something w the family.

Friend can't see this. She keeps bugging and bugging and besides the time, I honestly don't want to join. I'm not friends w the other moms, I don't want to be (went to school w them. If they weren't my friend then, I'm not making the effort not. I'm not rude but don't say "hey let's for for coffee")

I don't wanna be mean but yesterday at meet the teacher friend goes "heres the form for the pta/septa. Give it to me tomorrow"

Ugh just, no.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 7, 2016 at 7:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 7, 2016 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Then straight up say no and walk away. You don't owe her an explanation.
MrsBieg
by Member on Sep. 7, 2016 at 9:02 PM

Is she trying to get you to actually volunteer or go to actual meetings and stuff?  Joining doesn't mean you have to do anything.  It's about the money/membership.  

Don't text and drive.  

kvolm2016
by on Sep. 8, 2016 at 12:42 AM

Maybe ask your friend why it is so important to her that you join?  

ReadWriteLuv
by Bronze Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 3:43 AM
Just say no. No is a fabulous word. If they ask why, or start to press, politely but firmly chime in with an, "excuse me, I said no, and I meant it. End of discussion."

I will never for the life of me understand why most women have such a problem being assertive.
SusanIsHere
by on Sep. 8, 2016 at 9:41 AM

You can't do it the same as I can't teach do certain things. I have several people telling me I am going to do x. I had to get blunt with them.  I tried polite.  Now they avoid me. Win win!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 8, 2016 at 9:46 AM
I would jut tell her no, in a very firm, I'm not telling you again, kind of way. Pushy people sometimes need push back.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:41 PM
Both. I told her yesterday I would donate my sign up fee if she stopped asking, and today she added my to 2 PTA Facebook groups, and asked if I could make some craft thing.

I sent her a message saying that I was very busy and can't do it.

She asked when she could expect the craft.

She isn't listening lol.

Quoting MrsBieg:

Is she trying to get you to actually volunteer or go to actual meetings and stuff?  Joining doesn't mean you have to do anything.  It's about the money/membership.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 8, 2016 at 1:43 PM
I was firm. I asked if I could just donate my fee, and she added me to 2 fb groups for the pta.

Then asked me to do a craft, I said I was to busy, aND she asked when she could expect it lol.

I'm fixing to block her number. Ugh if our kids weren't such good friends I would.

She knows how busy I am too. It's not like she's a stranger

Quoting Anonymous 3: I would jut tell her no, in a very firm, I'm not telling you again, kind of way. Pushy people sometimes need push back.
Lindalou907
by Silver Member on Sep. 8, 2016 at 5:19 PM
1 mom liked this

"I already told you no, I have too many other obligations, please don't ask me again" Done. If she starts in, WALK AWAY. It's HER passion, not yours.

PogoPalOj
by on Sep. 9, 2016 at 7:30 AM

I hate pushy friends.  Grrrr.  No means no dangit!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)