Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tough time with this one. Right or wrong?

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM
  • 9 Replies

We have lot of poor out there.  Who get food stamps and other assistance from the state.  While I don't care if they get those benefits if they are truly eligible.  Only stay on them benefits.Till they get back on their feet.  Unless it's someone elderly or disabled.  Who can't work.  Then they can stay on indeffinitely if they are poor.  

I do have a problem with people who abuse the benefits they get.  Or lied to get benefits.   Thursday night  A friend and I were coming back from church.  My friend joined the church choir. They practice Thursday evening.   She usually has her bf take her to pracitce.  But he is sick this week.  She asked me to go with her. So she don't have to walk home alone at night.   We decided to stop at this bar that has good food near my house.  To get a late dinner.  We are ready to leave.  This old guy was outside selling packages of meat.   My friend says to me. Wth is that going on.  I said keep walking.  I'll tell you when we get up the block.  I told her that old guy gets food stamps.  He goes to the grocery store 3 blocks from my house.  Buys up the good meat on his food card.  Then hits up a couple bars in the neighborhood. Sells the meat at half the price he paid. Uses the cash for who knows what. The owner of the bar we ate at.  Always tells him to get lost.  She don't want him in there selling that meat.  Thursday he was hitting up customers standing outside smoking.  We are smoke free by law in the state in bars and restaurants.  My friend says that is so wrong.  I said yeah. Well nothing we can do about it.  I don't know the guys name or where he lives.  So no being able to turn him in for fraud.  My friend says  So many poor don't get help.  They could use the food stamps.  Would gladly eat whatever they can get on their food card for the month.  Then you got someone who sells what they get on their food card for cash.  I hate that our government supports those who fraud the system. But many times there is nothing you can do about it.  As those people have to be caught in the act doing what they are doing.  By the government. 

by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Megamamamojo
by on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe he doesn't eat a lot and needs cash more. This girl I knew lived by my gym. She sold food for money. She received $175 in fs and medicaid, but no money. She was really young (19) and had been in foster care. She needed money for tampons, toilet paper, bills, etc. I'm not saying it's right, but she lost her job and needed money. I told her she could go to jail, but she was desperate. I gave her a $200. And took her to a help center. She cried. Once you age out of the system there's not much help. Fast forward 6 months. I helped her get in a community college and she's on workstudy. She just needed help. You never know someone's story.
oryxx31
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:42 AM
Who is buying this guy's meat just hanging on the block like that? How is he getting enough business to make this lucrative?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:52 AM
It's easier to get food stamps than cash assistance. Like above commenter said maybe he doesn't eat that much but needs to pay rent or his heating bill. A one person household will get around $200 a month, which isn't a whole lot.

I don't care if people are on assistance, I used to be and I hated it.

Consider that you have to qualify, they don't just hand it out to anyone who asks. You have to be poor. And it needs renewed every 6 months.

If you find it easy to pay for your food, gas, rent/mortgage and utilities every month then you've got no reason to hate on people who can't. It's really not your struggle to judge.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 23, 2016 at 10:26 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't, I grew-up in poverty. Foodstamps don't but diapers, shampoo, deodorant, or pay a water bill.
Save your judgement pass the compassion.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 23, 2016 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
This...

While it poses a moral issue and I can't say I really love the idea. Rarely anyone gets cash and sometimes you need cash. I know when my friend got laid off from two jobs in a few month period she would ask to buy me something on my grocery list and l buy her something on hers so she could have tp, pads & tolietries. I would just buy them for her as a gift but I could see people getting desperate.

Quoting Megamamamojo: Maybe he doesn't eat a lot and needs cash more. This girl I knew lived by my gym. She sold food for money. She received $175 in fs and medicaid, but no money. She was really young (19) and had been in foster care. She needed money for tampons, toilet paper, bills, etc. I'm not saying it's right, but she lost her job and needed money. I told her she could go to jail, but she was desperate. I gave her a $200. And took her to a help center. She cried. Once you age out of the system there's not much help. Fast forward 6 months. I helped her get in a community college and she's on workstudy. She just needed help. You never know someone's story.
Catherinesmom12
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 11:05 AM

So don't buy his meat? 

There's two homeless people under the bridge who will do your whole shopping order and just steal it all. Then you pay a third. I think they smoke a lot of crack though. 

ihave1
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 11:14 AM
I had a girl work for me once that was "in the system" she got fired for stealing from me.

Blamed the fact that she was "in the system" for why she was stealing. Mind you she was nearly 30.

Quoting Megamamamojo: Maybe he doesn't eat a lot and needs cash more. This girl I knew lived by my gym. She sold food for money. She received $175 in fs and medicaid, but no money. She was really young (19) and had been in foster care. She needed money for tampons, toilet paper, bills, etc. I'm not saying it's right, but she lost her job and needed money. I told her she could go to jail, but she was desperate. I gave her a $200. And took her to a help center. She cried. Once you age out of the system there's not much help. Fast forward 6 months. I helped her get in a community college and she's on workstudy. She just needed help. You never know someone's story.
vjbrady0317
by New Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 11:40 AM
When I used to work customer service at Target people would buy food with thier foodstamps then turn around and do a no receipt return $5 at a time because the register automatically prompts cash if it's $5 or less. I hated it but my manager made me do it.
pinkcoffeecup
by Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 2:42 PM

I seen him around for about a year now. Yes people were buying his meat Thursday.  I've seen people buy it in the past.  No I don't know his situation.  Maybe he needs the money. But if he's doing it to support a bad habit.  Then it's even more wrong.

Quoting oryxx31: Who is buying this guy's meat just hanging on the block like that? How is he getting enough business to make this lucrative?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)