Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Grandma is dying & MIL wants us to...

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 20 Replies
My husband's grandma is very, very ill and it looks as though she is going to pass away within a few days. We all drove down to spend the last few days with her.

DHs mom pulled us aside last night and told us that we should tell his grandma that we are expecting and that she's going to be a great grandma. We are currently trying to conceive but it hasn't been immediate. We don't really talk about it, but I guess his family has figured it out.

I can't do it. I can't lie, and all I can think about is how awful it is and how bad it would be if it got out. I see no way it would end okay.

I'm not crazy, am I?
Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DensHag
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:24 PM
3 moms liked this
I wouldn't do that. I would tell MIL I am not going to lie to a dying woman.
lilmama8408
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:25 PM
I'm guessing MIL is hoping that something like that might help give her the will to fight her illness. But I agree with you that lying about it just seems bad. What does your dh think?
TheQueen88
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:26 PM

That just seems so wrong. You're right, it wouldn't end well. I understand why she wants you to, but it just doesn't seem right.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:29 PM
I agree. I understand why, but it just seems so wrong. Other family is here. We aren't actually expecting yet. It would seem so fake and take away from the real deal. Ugh, even just thinking about it makes my stomach hurt.

And, if by Gods graces she does continue to live, what would we do?! Continue the lie? Fake a miscarriage? Its just so wrong.

Quoting TheQueen88:

That just seems so wrong. You're right, it wouldn't end well. I understand why she wants you to, but it just doesn't seem right.

TheQueen88
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:31 PM

Yep there are SOOO many ways this could go badly. 

Quoting Anonymous 1: I agree. I understand why, but it just seems so wrong. Other family is here. We aren't actually expecting yet. It would seem so fake and take away from the real deal. Ugh, even just thinking about it makes my stomach hurt. And, if by Gods graces she does continue to live, what would we do?! Continue the lie? Fake a miscarriage? Its just so wrong.
Quoting TheQueen88:

Momtogirls0823
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM
I agree with you. I couldn't do it, either.
DarksMama
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 4:02 PM

Yeah, don't do it. It could backfire in so many ways. And there's no way to say that granny wouldn't hear that and then be upset that she won't meet the baby. Not a reaction you want to risk since she's fragile already.

oranguglad
by Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 4:15 PM

That'd be a no for me, too.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 22, 2016 at 5:07 PM
What the hell is wrong with Americans LOL
Element5
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 9:14 AM
No I would not be able to do it either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)