Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My son is bored in Kindergarten.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 46 Replies

My son is 5 and he is bored to literal tears in Kindergarten. He reads at a second grade level, can count to at least 100, adds, subtracts and can remember things easily. Problem is, he will not do the work the teacher gives him. I know he knows it, but he said that he "just does not get why he has to do the same work again and again.

I have spoken to the teacher. She said he would get more difficult material after he mastered the routine she has set for all of the students. What she does not seem to understand is my kid is bored by the routine and drifts off. We do not have this issue at home or anywhere else.

At home he reads books that are way beyond what they have assigned him. He is also understanding what he is reading. He loves to read about oceans and ocean life. He is a sweet kid and can be a little loud sometimes, like most little boys. When school began he was so excited. Now, he hates it, and tries to say he is sick to stay home. He has even cried a few times.

I have requested he be tested for gifted. She wants him to do what the other kids are doing first and then test him. So we are at a stalemate it seems on that one. He has not learned one thing in school. Not one. They are still doing the alphabet and counting to 10. He cannot focus because he already knows. It is that simple.

My son is miserable, I am miserable. I know by law they have to test him, but they seem to be stalling. Should I go the principle? The superintendent? Should I send him somewhere else? I don't know what to do. I don't want to be the crazy mom, but I also dont want my kid to suffer because he does not fit neatly into a box.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Posted by Anonymous on Oct. 27, 2016 at 7:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 27, 2016 at 8:49 PM

Maybe you should just homeschool your child.

ff-princess
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 7:55 AM
8 moms liked this

is this your first child?

kindergarten is just as much about learning to follow the rules and participate in class as it is about academics.  congratulations, your kid is pretty bright in a couple of areas.  however, he is still at a kindergarten level in everything else and is going to have problems in his academic career if he can't go along with the curriculum because "he's bored."  he needs to do the work.  period.

and there's no reason to test him for giftedness if he's not socially ready.  this piece is just as important as learning facts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:22 AM

No he is not my first. He only has these problems during center time. I homeschooled all my kids for 3 years. He is doing things in school that he was doing when he was 3. He has no trouble following the rules anywhere else.

Amy_M
by Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:26 AM

I agree.  Kindergarten is more about social skills in my opinion.  Teach your kid to follow the rules and do what he is told.  The teacher was clear, as soon as he can follow instructions and do what he is told she will do the test or whatever.  He needs to do what he is told.

Quoting ff-princess:

is this your first child?

kindergarten is just as much about learning to follow the rules and participate in class as it is about academics.  congratulations, your kid is pretty bright in a couple of areas.  however, he is still at a kindergarten level in everything else and is going to have problems in his academic career if he can't go along with the curriculum because "he's bored."  he needs to do the work.  period.

and there's no reason to test him for giftedness if he's not socially ready.  this piece is just as important as learning facts.

MyAdventureX3
by New Member on Oct. 28, 2016 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this

Go above the teacher. She doesn't seem to care that your child is bored and doesnt want to listen to you. Keep fighting for your child. Don't give up. but unfortunately if this doesnt work then maybe look into homeschool or look into a charter school or something similar. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Oct. 28, 2016 at 10:07 AM

Then continue with his homeschooling.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

No he is not my first. He only has these problems during center time. I homeschooled all my kids for 3 years. He is doing things in school that he was doing when he was 3. He has no trouble following the rules anywhere else.

DisabledVet
by on Oct. 28, 2016 at 3:34 PM

Go to the principle.  I too, read on an advanced level and was bored with school.  My parents were able to give me things outside of school that challenged me. 

Everyone has times that they have to suffer through things they don't like (ie boring).  But he will learn a valuable skill from doing it.  You need to sit down with him and explain that sometimes in life we all have to do things we'd rather not do but we have to do them anyway.  The biggest lesson I learned from having to sit through boring stuff, was how to do it and follow the rules.  I learned you don't die from doing boring things and you'll have boring things that need done andyou're the one that has to do them.  One of the things that I did learn by following stupid rules is that the world doesn't makes exceptions and sometimes you just have to behave correctly and suffer through things.  I also learned that if you don't like the rules, you can work to change them while still following them.  The earlier you learn these lessons the better.  He's going to have many things he'll have to just do and part of your job is to teach him how to follow the rules (this includes following stupid rules) and do a good job in spite of the boredom. That if he follows the rules in school he'll get rewarded at home.  Becasue I learned to follow rules in school, I was able to drop out in the 11th grade and get my GED.  I then went into the military so I could go to college. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Oct. 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM
Tell your son to do the work. If he knows it so well he shouldn't have an issue doing the work and should finish it quickly. Then the teacher will see he knows it and the process will be followed but when your child refuses to do the work they aren't going to test him for being gifted because as far as they are concerned he doesn't know the work and that's why he isn't doing it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Oct. 28, 2016 at 3:52 PM
Every school system I've been end starts testing for gifted at the end of 2nd grade. Not sure how yours is, but that could be why. He just needs to do the work. His job as a kindergarten student isn't to question "why he has to do this". His job is to follow the classroom routines and procedures. He needs to understand that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Oct. 28, 2016 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Um, an important lesson for kids to learn is to follow directions.  He needs to learn that sometimes things need to be done in a certain order and he doesn't always call the shots.  I don't blame them.  Why should they advance him and put him in gifted if he can't seem to demonstrate to them all he knows.  That's like saying in 10 yrs "just let me into Harvard on a full scholarship, I am super smart and will ace all classes, your money wont be wasted" with nothing backing it up.  No, that isn't how things work.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)