Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No food stamps/snap because I go to school full time?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 9 Replies

This has to be one of the dumbest things I ever saw from government.  Ive been out of work since Sept 16.  I had a shoulder injury and lost my job because I could not preform the duties.  Ok so been scraping by, behind on everything, had to move to a less expensive place this last week because we couldnt afford rent at old place without me working.  (Went from 1100 a month rent to 750).  Lately been more and more behind on everything, and barely any money left after paying what we absolutely have to each week, so I went to the department of human services today and applied for food stamps, and to go to the food pantry (here you have to get a voucher from dhs to go to the county one)   We are a family of 4.  But I was told since I go to school full time (online classes) and am not currently employed I do not get to be counted in the family group.  So for a family of 3 we make 15 dollars a month too much to qualify..  If I was counted in the family we would qualify for a litle over 200 a month in snap.

So basically because I am trying to better myself and get a degree so I can not ever have to worry about needing assistance, I cant get assistance.. But if I wasnt going to school I could get help.  Tell me where the heck that makes any dang sense?  Something about because some people get student loans, and that is income they cant count in snap budget, but is still income, then if you are not working at least 20 hours a week then you can not qualify for food stamps for you, just for others in your household.  

I had surgery on my shoulder on Monday.. Ive got 3 more weeks of Physical Therapy 3x's a week.. After that maybe will be able to move the dang thing and get another job.  Just really getting frustrated with having about 25 - 30 dollars a week to feed 4 people.  Not one to be wanting government help normally but its supposed to be there for when you really need it, guess not.  

Posted by Anonymous on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
tklrcl2014
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:55 PM

That makes no sense.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:56 PM
So get a job
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 4:57 PM
That's pretty crapy, I'm sorry.
You couldn't get unemployment?
You should have filed fmla when you hurt yourself, they wouldn't have legally been able to fire you.
pinkcoffeecup
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:00 PM

Now where I live. They told our son some few years back.  He was a full time student.  He qualified for everything.  Well he was doing a report or something on how government assistance affected somethings related to his job. He worked for a non profit place that helped people in the justice system. Like if you were in jail and that.  He was making 65,000$ a year.  Living on his own.  But applied for assistance to see how it all works in relationship to where he works.  They asked him all these questions on the phone.  Even his wages. They tell him because he's a full time student also.  He qualified for near 400 in food stamps, medicaid and such.  He again says do you realize how much my income is?   They said But you go to school also. So you qualify.  You should take the benefits.  He did not. But got the information he needed for his report.

illneverbeold
by Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:01 PM

Are you a member of a church or anything? Life is so hard sometimes. Can DH get a second job until you can go back to work?

Quoting Anonymous 1:

This has to be one of the dumbest things I ever saw from government.  Ive been out of work since Sept 16.  I had a shoulder injury and lost my job because I could not preform the duties.  Ok so been scraping by, behind on everything, had to move to a less expensive place this last week because we couldnt afford rent at old place without me working.  (Went from 1100 a month rent to 750).  Lately been more and more behind on everything, and barely any money left after paying what we absolutely have to each week, so I went to the department of human services today and applied for food stamps, and to go to the food pantry (here you have to get a voucher from dhs to go to the county one)   We are a family of 4.  But I was told since I go to school full time (online classes) and am not currently employed I do not get to be counted in the family group.  So for a family of 3 we make 15 dollars a month too much to qualify..  If I was counted in the family we would qualify for a litle over 200 a month in snap.

So basically because I am trying to better myself and get a degree so I can not ever have to worry about needing assistance, I cant get assistance.. But if I wasnt going to school I could get help.  Tell me where the heck that makes any dang sense?  Something about because some people get student loans, and that is income they cant count in snap budget, but is still income, then if you are not working at least 20 hours a week then you can not qualify for food stamps for you, just for others in your household.  

I had surgery on my shoulder on Monday.. Ive got 3 more weeks of Physical Therapy 3x's a week.. After that maybe will be able to move the dang thing and get another job.  Just really getting frustrated with having about 25 - 30 dollars a week to feed 4 people.  Not one to be wanting government help normally but its supposed to be there for when you really need it, guess not.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:06 PM
A reporter near us did something similar, but heavily alluded to being involved in sex trafficking and the "dependents" made to sound like underage prostitutes. The person taking the application basically coached him on exactly how to lie and hide assets to get benefits. He recorded everything.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Now where I live. They told our son some few years back.  He was a full time student.  He qualified for everything.  Well he was doing a report or something on how government assistance affected somethings related to his job. He worked for a non profit place that helped people in the justice system. Like if you were in jail and that.  He was making 65,000$ a year.  Living on his own.  But applied for assistance to see how it all works in relationship to where he works.  They asked him all these questions on the phone.  Even his wages. They tell him because he's a full time student also.  He qualified for near 400 in food stamps, medicaid and such.  He again says do you realize how much my income is?   They said But you go to school also. So you qualify.  You should take the benefits.  He did not. But got the information he needed for his report.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Nov. 11, 2016 at 5:14 PM

Who told you that?  I'd be on the phone with my city council person for some help.  That sounds like a bogus reason to me.   If they cannot count student loans for snap assistance then you should qualify.  Someone I'll bet is using their own interpretation of the rules incorrectly.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Nov. 11, 2016 at 7:05 PM
I'm a single sahm who gets food stamps. No one told you that.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Nov. 12, 2016 at 8:01 AM
It makes sense if you realize the system isn't designed to help people, it's designed to get people on assistance and keep them on assistance and then the people trying to be elected can use the benefits as a carrot to wave in front of people...vote for me and you'll have more benefits. It has zero to do with helping anyone.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)