Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Uniform School allowing alternatives?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

My kids go to a school that requires a uniform. Yesterday when in line for pick up I noticed a young girl out on the field wearing a traditional Hijab along with the full Abaya robe. Now, I have no issues with someone wearing the Hajab head cover. I think that's fine. And, if you are in a traditional public school that does not require uniforms, then wear what ever you want. But, I feel that if you are at a school that requires uniforms, then you wear the damn uniform. Am I wrong about this? Do I approach the school about this? Or, do I just leave it be, because I really love the school and don't want to cause waves? I several friends that are Muslim, and no issue with that. All their children wear westernized clothes at school though (including the girls), so maybe I'm overreacting and this family is just more conservative than my friends. Please, thoughts, input...

Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:15 PM
3 moms liked this

You're over-reacting. 

And, an abaya is usually worn over other clothes when in public - it's possible the girl was actually wearing the school uniform underneath.

But if you want to be that parent who feels the need to police others, by all means be that parent.

solemom2boys
by on Feb. 16, 2017 at 2:15 PM

Quoting Anonymous 2:

You're over-reacting. 

And, an abaya is usually worn over other clothes when in public - it's possible the girl was actually wearing the school uniform underneath.

But if you want to be that parent who feels the need to police others, by all means be that parent.

Yeah I kinda agree, although i do hate the way these muslims seem to get away with wearing this shit. Certainly down here in New Zealand everyone seems to be bending over backwards to accomodate them.

At the school my boys attend they have a school uniform, but really no one gives a fuck if you dont wear it fully every day. THey even tell you what shoes to wear, but my kids go barefoot everywhere but no one gives a shit, which is fine by me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 17, 2017 at 3:00 AM

That's the thing, my kids have had to not wear their coats before, because they weren't "dress code" appropriate (meaning they weren't the right colors). And, they are strict with the shoes on the older grades here too. 2nd grade and under, not so much. 

Quoting solemom2boys:

Quoting Anonymous 2:

You're over-reacting. 

Yeah I kinda agree, although i do hate the way these muslims seem to get away with wearing this shit. Certainly down here in New Zealand everyone seems to be bending over backwards to accomodate them.

At the school my boys attend they have a school uniform, but really no one gives a fuck if you dont wear it fully every day. THey even tell you what shoes to wear, but my kids go barefoot everywhere but no one gives a shit, which is fine by me. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 17, 2017 at 3:04 AM
You would think the Muslim girls would be allowed to wear a skirt and shirt and hijab in the same colors as the uniform.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)