Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is his name really that bad?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Dh named our son Aithen James. Ay-then kind of like a mix between ayden and Ethan. He found it in a baby name book and apparently it's an established Greek name. When I google it, it comes up as a variant of Ethan.
I've grown to like it. I think it fits my son perfectly. However, I have heard some nasty rumors that trace back to our close family members. My brother in law and sister in law have said some hurtful things about his name. Says it is ugly and sounds made up. I know it does sound made up.. which most names are now days. But is it really that ugly?? I am so hurt that they would say such an awful thing.. especially because we have a great relationship, or so I thought?
Posted by Anonymous on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:55 PM
Bump
CheerioHolder
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I think the name is fine. Different, but not a ridiculous kind of different.

I also think you should assume all rumors are pulled straight out of someone's ass. Especially if it seems out of character for the person who supposedly said the hurtful comments. Honestly, the sort of people who repeat things just to stir the pot are the same type of people who would make stuff up for no good reason.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:01 PM
You know, that is very true.

I have heard them make mean comments towards people they dislike. So It's believable to an extent, but you do make a very good point!
Thank you.

Quoting CheerioHolder: I think the name is fine. Different, but not a ridiculous kind of different.

I also think you should assume all rumors are pulled straight out of someone's ass. Especially if it seems out of character for the person who supposedly said the hurtful comments. Honestly, the sort of people who repeat things just to stir the pot are the same type of people who would make stuff up for no good reason.
502Amandab
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:03 PM
I really like it
DiANAiVELiSSE
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

another CM went on a rant on me because of my kids name .. trebor and anaid ... let them say what ever as long as your happy and it really isnt ridiculous

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:06 PM
It's different, but you knew that. Anytime someone chooses an uncommon name they're going to get those types of comments, and he will probably hear them himself his entire life. I don't think there is anything wrong with the name, but you're both going to have to get used to people having something you say about it. No, they shouldn't be speaking badly of your son's name, especially since they're family and are supposed to be close to you, so they're definitely wrong for running their mouth. No one has the right to look down on the name you chose at all, since it isn't their business, but the fact is people are always going to talk, especially about things that aren't their business. Humans are asses most of the time. So while there isn't anything wrong with the name and I even kind of like it, you do need to be preparing him for being made fun of and for people to make comments when he's in school, because it's going to happen. Hey, at least you didn't name him Tomif or Blessyn.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM
Aw thank you!

Quoting 502Amandab: I really like it
GLO682
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:07 PM

it's a little different, i don't like odd names but it isn't an awful name.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Fuck their opinions. They aren't the parents, you are.

And, if you're certain the comments came from them, and not from someone in your family trying to start bullshit, just take a break from them. Don't invite them over for a while, don't pick up the phone when they call, unfollow them on social media. If they ask "why aren't you talking to us", then you can explain that because of their nasty comments about your child, you took that to mean they didn't want to be around. Actually, you should let your husband tell them that - they're his siblings.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Feb. 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM

It's not nearly as bad as others I have heard.  To be honest I kind of like it.

My nephew has a hard to pronounce let alone spell name.  It isn't bad.  His first name is Irish and his middle name is Italian.  It's kind of a strange match, but it made my sister happy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)