Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Vent

Posted by on May. 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM
  • 16 Replies
6 moms liked this

I've been inspired by another post. 

People we can not teach your children how to have a moral compass that points due North. That is your job. If you don't understand how the school system works, or why there are consequences for academic dishonesty, educate yourself. 

I deal with this all the time. Kids think they get unlimited chances to 'redo' their mistakes. Parents expect their children to get a second, third and fourth chance to do the right thing. They do not back up the school when their kids are held accountable for their own actions. They believe their children when they claim that they didn't know:

-That encouraging a fight is wrong.

-That taking pictures in the bathroom is wrong.

-That looking up information on their phone during a test is forbidden (even though phones aren't allowed in the school.)

-When they argue that student A wasn't caught doing the same thing and should therefore be excused. (WTF?)

-Insisting that teachers who don't give them their way are racist. (That's a serious thing, don't just throw it around people!)

Do not call teachers stupid or disrespect the system, even if you believe they are being stupid. Teach your child to work with the system and not to try and pull off stupid stunts all the time. 

Also, LIGHT UP FIDGET SPINNERS ARE NOT DISCRETE!! stop buying them. 

by on May. 26, 2017 at 8:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on May. 27, 2017 at 7:58 AM

Now, there are some teachers that are not good. I have a lot of family that are teachers, or principals, and I know there are also a lot of disrespectful students, so there is some bad on both ends. You can not say all teachers are good teachers, and we can not say all students are good students. 

I know there are a lot of good teachers, and students that are good students, but like I said there are also the bad on both parts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on May. 27, 2017 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

I think you entirely missed the point. This isn't about distributing blame.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Now, there are some teachers that are not good. I have a lot of family that are teachers, or principals, and I know there are also a lot of disrespectful students, so there is some bad on both ends. You can not say all teachers are good teachers, and we can not say all students are good students. 

I know there are a lot of good teachers, and students that are good students, but like I said there are also the bad on both parts.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on May. 27, 2017 at 11:07 AM

I have a ton of friends who are teachers and i see the shit they go through and feel so bad that they have to deal with those things. However, there are times where the teacher IS at fault and for my family it was like that this year. Don't discount all the parents who are trying/doing everything they can. 

AmaliaD
by on May. 27, 2017 at 11:41 AM
I'm making spinners for our first project in stem lab. Enjoy that. I've been teaching for almost 15 years in progressive charter schools. I think about 5% of the parent population that I've served has been guilty of your complaint list. But I know it is MY job to win their trust before they will listen to me.
lwalker270
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 11:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I wish I could love this post!  It's amazing the amount of entitlement some students have and the way they speak to teachers and staff.

lwalker270
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 11:53 AM

I think that's an awesome project!  We do a lot of STEAM and PBL in our school.

However, if students have fidget spinners out while we're doing something else, I'll ask them once to put them away and then take them until the end of class.

Quoting AmaliaD: I'm making spinners for our first project in stem lab. Enjoy that. I've been teaching for almost 15 years in progressive charter schools. I think about 5% of the parent population that I've served has been guilty of your complaint list. But I know it is MY job to win their trust before they will listen to me.

The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

Maevelyn
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 12:10 PM
I agree completely. I think that the bigger issue is parents who put the blame on every teacher. It takes two to tango, so to speak. I always ask myself what I could do different. It is my job to make a connection.

Quoting Anonymous 1:

Maevelyn
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 12:15 PM
I don't mind most fidget spinners. On the other hand, I demonstrated how to use them in my classroom. They keep getting more elaborate though. Light up spinners are increasingly popular and there is no way anyone honestly believed that those would be discrete. Other teachers have been saying that kids are putting sand in them to make them louder. I haven't had that problem though.

Quoting AmaliaD: I'm making spinners for our first project in stem lab. Enjoy that. I've been teaching for almost 15 years in progressive charter schools. I think about 5% of the parent population that I've served has been guilty of your complaint list. But I know it is MY job to win their trust before they will listen to me.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on May. 27, 2017 at 12:17 PM
I'm pulling my kid from her school. I am sick of all the kids being punished as a group for the five that cause about 98% of the trouble.

There is no other same grade level classroom in her school. My child is respectful, polite and (mostly) well-mannered. Most of the kids in her class are. Her class has been on 3 field trips in 7 years because most of the teachers couldn't control the class. Constant yelling and group punishments that never feel in the bad kids. The principal should have kicked these kids out a few years ago, but didn't want to lose the tuition. Many have left and next year more are going....more good kids.

I let her shadow at another school. She loved it. She said kids listened and teachers didn't yell. The classes are academically ahead because there aren't constant disruptions.

None of the teachers swore in the class or at the kids. It was the first time she went through a day without hearing how horrid a class was and how they didn't deserve field trips.

I feel bad for believing the principal every time he said he would take care of things. I let my kid suffer for the sins of others. I will live with that guilt.

The bad kids learned it at home, but the bad teachers made all the kids suffer.
Maevelyn
by Member on May. 27, 2017 at 3:56 PM

Vary rarely is group punishment appropriate or effective. I would rather have reward days for the polite students. Too many days of discipline? Sorry, no field trip. Rewarding good behavior and setting clear guidelines for what constitutes good behavior are way more effective. I would pull my kid out too.

Quoting Anonymous 4: I'm pulling my kid from her school. I am sick of all the kids being punished as a group for the five that cause about 98% of the trouble.

There is no other same grade level classroom in her school. My child is respectful, polite and (mostly) well-mannered. Most of the kids in her class are. Her class has been on 3 field trips in 7 years because most of the teachers couldn't control the class. Constant yelling and group punishments that never feel in the bad kids. The principal should have kicked these kids out a few years ago, but didn't want to lose the tuition. Many have left and next year more are going....more good kids.

I let her shadow at another school. She loved it. She said kids listened and teachers didn't yell. The classes are academically ahead because there aren't constant disruptions.

None of the teachers swore in the class or at the kids. It was the first time she went through a day without hearing how horrid a class was and how they didn't deserve field trips.

I feel bad for believing the principal every time he said he would take care of things. I let my kid suffer for the sins of others. I will live with that guilt.

The bad kids learned it at home, but the bad teachers made all the kids suffer.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)