Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I tell her?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 4 Replies

So last year my coworker had to rehome her kitties and my son decided to adopt one of them. He adores this cat. 

Today my took the day off of work to take the cat to the vet because he's barely eating and hasn't pooped in 4 days. He said the cat has lost weight, too. Vet did some blood work and it came back showing that there is a possibility that the cat has cancer (something about the protein levels in the bloodwork). They're running another test or two and gave him a laxative to try to get him to go #2.

Honestly it doens't look good and I'm so sad for my son and for my coworker. She's kept in contact with my son and gotten updates on the cat ever since she had to rehome him. 

If it turns out that the cat does have cancer and he isn't going to recover, how do I tell my coworker? She's going to be devistated.

Posted by Anonymous on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
libbybell
by Member on Jun. 19, 2017 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I would just be upfront and tell her now that the cat has been having health issues. That you will know more after more testing. That way it will not be as shocking if the news is grim.
Tsiporah
by Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 12:53 AM
I agree with libbybell. As a cat owner she knows our fur babies don't live as long as we do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Jun. 20, 2017 at 7:20 PM

Thanks ladies. I took your advice and let her know what was going on today. Not that he might have cancer, just that he's very sick. 

jws120567
by Bronze Member on Jun. 20, 2017 at 7:38 PM

Just let her know as gently as possible.  When my last rescue kitty died, I let both of his previous owners know, and I was shocked by how little reaction they gave me about his passing.  I'm so sorry about the kitty, I do hope the little guy will be ok.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)