Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need resources for single mother (Michigan)

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM
  • 47 Replies
I'm a single mother of two wonderful kids (5 & 1). Looking for some resources or advice that I can get. I can no longer work after my baby was about 6 months old due to losing my house and car all in one day. One reason it's hard for me to work is because no one will help with keeping my child while I work and I don't have transportation to get both kids to different locations to work. My child is very spoiled cause all he knows is me so family and friends won't keep him. So even making appointments and interviews is hard. I get belittled a lot by family, it seems like they want so much from me but I can't get anything in return. My aunt always wants me to keep her child while she works but I can't get that in return. Or even count on her to get my baby to a appointment. At this point I'm so stressed and depressed that I have chunks of hair falling out. Face is breaking out horribly. I live with my grandmother in her apartment who doesn't want me or my kids there. I'm at a dead end hitting a brick wall. I've applied for assistance from dhs got denied. Idk where else to try
by on Jul. 16, 2017 at 8:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nanny1918
by Silver Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 7:48 AM
Do you have a work program in your area ? If they can help you find a job, get you a bus pass and help pay for childcare, that would be a good start for you.
Can you dial 211 in your area ?
Have you applied for housing ?
Is dhs welfare ? How did you get turned down ?
Do you get child support ?
Southern_Song
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:15 AM
Why would you be denied if you have no income? That doesn't make sense. IDK, I'm a firm believer that people choose their reality.
Scustard91
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM
Oh yes. They will deny you if they feel you don't need there assistance. I've tried multiple times. Only for every time they come up with a different reason for denying me

Quoting Southern_Song: Why would you be denied if you have no income? That doesn't make sense. IDK, I'm a firm believer that people choose their reality.
Scustard91
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:28 AM
And that's fine you can believe that.

Quoting Scustard91: Oh yes. They will deny you if they feel you don't need there assistance. I've tried multiple times. Only for every time they come up with a different reason for denying me

Quoting Southern_Song: Why would you be denied if you have no income? That doesn't make sense. IDK, I'm a firm believer that people choose their reality.
jas_momof2
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you work it out with your aunt that she pays you for childcare?  Otherwise, I wouldn't watch the child, imo, especially if she isn't willing to return the favor.

Def try 211 if that works in your area.  Good luck!

Scustard91
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:33 AM
I'm going to go again and try work first program. 211 wasn't any help. I got denied housing due to no income. In the process of child support

Quoting nanny1918: Do you have a work program in your area ? If they can help you find a job, get you a bus pass and help pay for childcare, that would be a good start for you.
Can you dial 211 in your area ?
Have you applied for housing ?
Is dhs welfare ? How did you get turned down ?
Do you get child support ?
caustinb
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:34 AM
Where is the father of these kids? Are you receiving chikd support?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

The following links might help you as to getting a car at a reasonable cost or free.   Wish you much luck!

http://singlemomsincome.com/car-donations-single-moms-get-free-cheap-car/

http://www.freecharitycars.org/how-it-works

http://www.800charitycars.org/who-can-apply.html

TCain0001
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 9:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I would keep trying until they get sick of the paperwork--that's what I had to do at one point.

When my oldest ds was a baby, we got denied because my $600 a month unemployment was too much money (huh?  And we were living with my parents at the time, helping with bills and buying formula and diapers for a 2 month old baby--and my dh had just started a job and hadn't even made his first paycheck yet).

Well, when ds was almost (but not quite) a year, I reapplied because my unemployment had run out and dh was between jobs again (the one he'd had didn't work out).  The worker asked for our proof of income and I responded "What income?"  She looked at me funny and I explained that my unemployment ran out, he was between jobs, and we were living with my parents, who were low income themselves due to my dad being let go from his job after a billion years, and the worker was surprised we were even making it!  They finally approved us.

Quoting Scustard91: Oh yes. They will deny you if they feel you don't need there assistance. I've tried multiple times. Only for every time they come up with a different reason for denying me

Scustard91
by Member on Jul. 17, 2017 at 10:12 AM
I keep applying the same worker just keeps giving excuses to why I'm being denied. First it was from a old job that I haven't worked in a year. Then a bank account that was closed months ago. I'm getting sick of them. I don't get stamps or wic so all my little money goes on food,milk. I have to use all my money to buy food to keep staying where we are

Quoting TCain0001:

I would keep trying until they get sick of the paperwork--that's what I had to do at one point.

When my oldest ds was a baby, we got denied because my $600 a month unemployment was too much money (huh?  And we were living with my parents at the time, helping with bills and buying formula and diapers for a 2 month old baby--and my dh had just started a job and hadn't even made his first paycheck yet).

Well, when ds was almost (but not quite) a year, I reapplied because my unemployment had run out and dh was between jobs again (the one he'd had didn't work out).  The worker asked for our proof of income and I responded "What income?"  She looked at me funny and I explained that my unemployment ran out, he was between jobs, and we were living with my parents, who were low income themselves due to my dad being let go from his job after a billion years, and the worker was surprised we were even making it!  They finally approved us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)