Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what would you do if you had a son-in-law who...

Posted by on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:30 PM
  • 90 Replies
1 mom liked this

wanted nothing to do with his wife's (my daughter) family. i have a son and daughter. my son is married and has 3 kids (my grandkids).  i get along with them great. my daughter got married in 2014. her husband (my son-in-law) got along with the family and had great times together with dinners and game nights, holidays etc. in june 2016 they had a son (my grandson). just before the baby was born he kinda distanced himself from the family. havent spoken to him since november 2016. none of the family did anything to him for him to act this way and not want anything to do with us. we are forbidden to go to their home (which is a rented double that they rent the top), my son and i wanted to visit during Easter and they didn't answer the door or reply to our texts or phone calls. they were home at that time. He wanted to put a restraining order on us but was unable to because there had been no threats coming across. I only see my daughter and grandson at church for maybe 15 minutes after service. its heartbreaking that i cannot spoil my grandson (and my son cant see his nephew). my grandson is missing out on so much due to my son-in-law forbidding any family gatherings. my daughter says to abide by her husband's wishes and be patient. any suggestions or advice????

have a wonderful day
by on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM
13 moms liked this
Sounds like a abusive relationship sorta
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:37 PM
3 moms liked this
Obviously you DID do something or this wouldn't have happened. Accept the fact and move on
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:39 PM
More like in-laws who don't know their place.

Quoting Anonymous 1: Sounds like a abusive relationship sorta
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:40 PM
3 moms liked this
Have you asked your dd if she and the baby are safe?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM
3 moms liked this
Obviously there are two sides to this story
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:41 PM
1 mom liked this
Obviously something happened here that isn't being told, on one side or another. What does your daughter say when you talk to her about it?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow sounds like a family members marriage. In this case he was a liar, cheater and was extremely controlling in certain areas. Everything was always about him and his family. He tried to keep us away, but that didn't happen. They separated. Only difference is their kids were older.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't press you luck because they might move to another state.  Take your daughter's suggestion and abide by her husband's wishes and be patient.

How does your daughter demeanor seem when you see her at church?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:45 PM
Have you asked them?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Aug. 10, 2017 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
How was he when they were around? You say you had good times but maybe look back and see if something happened or someone said something that made him feel like this.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)